pmcnamara
I screwed up bad.. HELP !
  • 2005/7/18 17:11

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/3

I think I screwed up bad.. and I'm looking for help.

I tried to upgrade to the newest version of Xoops, but I did something wrong..

So when I tried to load the website, an installation page came up, I followed the instructions and through this process (not exactly sure how) everything which existed in my old website got lost.

I tried to recover by reverting back to the old version of Xoops.. but that didn't help either.

Now... as luck would have it.. I did create a back up before I managed to screw everything up.. but several attempts at reinstalling the back up have failed.

At this point, I'd like to just save back my orginal .sql database (to get my users list, forum archive, story archive) back active...

Is this possible ?

Anyone have any ideas ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

Herko
Re: I screwed up bad.. HELP !
  • 2005/7/18 18:24

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

You should have read the documentation provided

Ok, that was an open door that you probably didn't want to be shown. The only mistake you made however, is that you overwrote your mainfile.php file with the empty one used for fresh installs. So, if you can restore the information from the previous mainfile.php file (the one from the website that worked), you should be up and running real soon!

Herko

pmcnamara
  • 2005/7/18 18:36

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

Herko,

I'm afraid that since I also erased the xoop.sql database, that even if I restore the mainfile.php, I'll need to also restore the database before I get everything back ?

Patrick

Herko
  • 2005/7/18 20:31

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

yup, you'll need to restore the whole original situation...
Database and mainfile.php.

What do you mean when you say you removed the xoops.sql database? If you removed the .sql file from the install/sql folder or something similar, or have you really removed the db tables themselves (using a db management app like phpmyadmin)? If it's the first, then you will need to use a db management tool to find the correct prefix and use that to connect to your old data. If it's the second, then you'll need to restore a backup of the database itself.

Herko

pmcnamara
  • 2005/7/20 22:08

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

I am way over my head...

I tried to copy the backup copy of the mainfile.php back and that just made the whole website non-accessible.

I have not figured out how to restore the backed up copy of the database I have.

I thinking this is just going to be a complete loss.

jlm69
  • 2005/7/21 0:09

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Does your server have phpMyAdmin? If you have cpanel then it does. I will try to help you restore your database, let me know if you still need help.

John

jdseymour

For database restore (as well as site restore see the following:

1. XOOPS Site Migration

2. MySQL Database Restore

The first one will apply with restoring the full site and the database through phpmyadmin. The second one covers restoring the database with the command line or cron.

HTH.

pmcnamara
  • 2005/7/25 12:33

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

I am getting these instructions from my hosting company, but they don't seem to work:

It is possible to modify the current installation to work on this server without resinstalling. You simply have to check the config files that were created during the initial install to reflect the new username.

To reinstall, you would do the following:

-backup your database so you don't lose data, this can be done with cpanel->backups, click on the database name to download it

-remove XOOPS installation

-reinstall using Fantastico (or manual, although Fantastico is easier)

-reupload your database, you may have to manually add the database entries to your new database using these steps :

(1) Create a MySQL database in cpanel (this is already done by xoops, skip)
(2) Login to phpmyadmin (bottom cpanel MySQL page)
(3) Once in phpmyadmin, click on the database
(4) Click on SQL (top menu)
(5) Open your MySQL database file with notepad (the backup you downloaded to your local machine)
(6) copy a 1mb or smaller peice of the database
(7) paste what you copied in the sql dump text field
(8) repeat process, breaking database into small peices, pasting one peice at a time, starting each peice on a new line.

This is how to popular a large MySQL database.

pmcnamara
  • 2005/7/28 12:28

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

John,

I do have myphpadmin on my server.

An update since my original post:

I screwed up my XOOPS website trying to upgrade to upgrade to 2.2 While attempting a recovery my webserver company crashed and burned and I've had to completely start over.

That being said, I had created a back up of my SQL database shortly before the fall.

I would like to recover 3 things from this database:

1.) My user/passwords list
2.) Past articles written
3.) Forum History

I would think recovering the username/password file would be the easiest since I didn't make any changes to the format or structure of them.

The old articles were written using the "news" module, which I have jetison in the rebuild instead going with "article" module. I also have changed the catogory descriptions, so I'm assuming this isn't going to be an easy recovery... any ideas ?

Lastly.. the forum (while still the default XOOPS newbb) I've completely changed the forum names... any chance of recovery here ?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated !

Patrick

pmcnamara
  • 2005/7/28 12:31

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

J --

Thanks for the link...

Hey, wanted to say I really like the layout of your website !! Its fresh and super clean..

How do you make the "hide right column" thing happen ?

Do you have that layout available as a theme ?

Thanks,

Patrick

Login

Who's Online

132 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 132

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits