nightshade
Cant hide email addresses in member profiles
  • 2005/6/18 7:59

• nightshade

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/11

i am a newbie. but i have read countless support forums and still havent found an answer to my problem. I just installed XOOPS and have put together a basic forum site. problem is, registered members are able to view each other's email addresses. even though the option is not checked, and have been set to private. I have created a ton of test users, and for some strange reason they can still view registered members email address in the profiles. how can i stop this? any ideas?

jdseymour
Re: Cant hide email addresses in member profiles

What forum are you using? This is a system wide setting per user account. Make sure that the "Allow other users to view my email address" is unchecked. Also make sure you are not viewing these accounts as webmaster, as you have extra rights to the accounts.

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 8:44

• nightshade

• Just popping in

i am using 2.0.15 xoops, if this is what you mean by what forum i am using. And yes, i have the "allow users to see view my email address unchecked"...and i have logged off as webmaster and am using on of the "TESTUSER" accounts i created to test the system, but the email adresses of other "testusers" is still being seen in the profile. I dont know what else to try. i evedn tried logging in from different computers. im completely lost now

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 8:59

• nightshade

• Just popping in

just created three more test users, gave them all different group priveledges, one with virtually none at all. still in the member profile, all the users email is displayed. now i DO have my forum set up so only register members can enter it, so there are no annonymous users. i dont know if this is the problem or not, but im trying to make it so that registered users email addy is not shown on thier profile unless they WANT it to. i dont know what else to do

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 9:14

• nightshade

• Just popping in

also, i dont know if this helps or matters, but i have the option checked that doesn't allow users to change thier email address

Herko
  • 2005/6/18 9:30

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Nightshade, can you view other people's e-mail addresses here on xoops.org? (As admin I can, as anonymous I can't)

Herko

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 9:42

• nightshade

• Just popping in

i just logged out and back in to xoops.org. i am abloe to view your email address, both before i log in and after i log in. not sure if anyone is able to see your email addy or not, just informing you. Ive been up all night today and yesterday trying to find a solution to this problem...i feel like snatching my hair out and screaming!!! is there any other reason why my forum would allow registered users to continue to see other users email address, even when its set to be private? this is a major major hinderance, as i dont want to have to force potential members to have to share their email addresses with other members unless they want it that way.

jdseymour

I do not know how you could view herko's e-mail address. I just logged out and all I could view was visit Web site under his username.

And even as a registered user I cannot view your e-mail here in the forums.

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 9:48

• nightshade

• Just popping in

his email addy said harko@xoops.org i think. but let me try again to be sure.

nightshade
  • 2005/6/18 9:56

• nightshade

• Just popping in

i just logged off. let me explain what i see. when i log off, if i point my mouse over herko name, it gives me no options but to view his website. BUT when i go to the left side menu where it says "who's Online" i am able to select members and view their profile there. I didn't see herko on this time, but i selected on the member "NULLA" and was able to see that email address with no proble---even though i was LOGGED OFF. i just logged back on. other members email addys were not visible even when i log on as nightshade, so i am not sure if they have emails listed or not. but the member NULLA email is visible to me both when i log in and after i log off---and im actually logging off, not just closing the screen.

Login

Who's Online

87 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 87

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits