shy1ntx
Visitor vs Registered home page
  • 2005/6/16 21:02

• shy1ntx

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/3 1

Is there a module or a way to achieve the following:

Currently, XOOPS is set to default to the NEWS module for the home/index page.
We have information that we dont want viewable to non registered users in this module.

Thus, what I want is a way to have a basic home page- A page with our welcome text/graphics/logo for non registered users as well as the log in area for any registered members.

If the visitor has a user name and password, they could log in taking them to the "News Module" (as a 2nd 'home page' so to speak) which makes sense as this is a way for registered users to get important info.

In this way any 'sensitive' information is hidden from a casual passer-byer.

I thought about using the "myhome" module (setting the prefs in the admin cp to set this module as the default home page), but that sorta works...however if a registered user logs in, the user is defaulted to the "myhome" page - defeating the whole idea of using this module - UNLESS I am not utilizing this module correctly.

I may not be stating it clearly.... but any input would be greatly appreciated.

JamesSAEP
Re: Visitor vs Registered home page
  • 2005/6/16 21:31

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

You could just remove access to all the blocks for the anonymous users that you don't want them to see.

Create custom blocks with the content that you want them to see.

shy1ntx
  • 2005/6/17 15:40

• shy1ntx

• Just popping in

In practice/theory I thought about that... and even tried it.

However, it seems that if I create a custom block that is only viewable by guests or basically the home page before a log in....the only way (that I have found) is to have the block also viewable in the the webmaster group.

Thus, this custom block gets in the way when I log in since it is forced on top of everything else.... I tried turning the custom block off for the webmaster group, but if I do this, it turns it off for the anonymous group as well...and if I turn it on in the anonymous group then it automatically is on for the webmaster. (A vicious circle...smile...but I understand the principle behind it.)

I even tried making the order/weight of the block to be last on the page but for some reason the center block on my template will not allow me to move the custom block down... it forces everything on the top even for other modules etc...I have tried putting polls or weather blocks in the center but they are always on top and I cant move them down...an issue with the template I guess- but that is another issue. (Blue-Lagoon is the template - it has the great shadowed corners which make it look like the edges of the block are lifted up...)

Thus, I am still looking for a workaround or solution of having separate 'home' or start pages for non-registered users vs the start page once you have logged in.

I hope that makes sense.....

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/6/17 15:55

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

The way I get around the displaying of all the blocks for the webmaster is by using a second login id and don't make them a member of the webmaster group.

Grant the second id the ability to access the modules and areas you need. The display will work fine.

Mithrandir

Just adding that the drop-down in blocks admin is a filter - it doesn't change any group permissions (e.g. block view rights). For that, you need to edit the webmasters' group in System Admin -> Groups

jdseymour

I have several blocks that are viewable by anonymous users. I removed the checkmark for the block from the webmaster and registered user groups in System Admin - Groups, now only anonymous views the blocks, and I as webmaster have to log out to see the blocks. So it is possible.

shy1ntx
  • 2005/6/17 16:18

• shy1ntx

• Just popping in

DOH! Feel stupid now.

Thanks MITH and everyone.... in my rush to set it up...I forgot I could go one step further and turn off access to the block in the group settings for webmaster.

I think it will work perfectly now....
Kickin myself...so simple.... geez!

solo71
  • 2005/6/20 16:20

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Quote:

shy1ntx wrote:
I thought about using the "myhome" module (setting the prefs in the admin cp to set this module as the default home page), but that sorta works...however if a registered user logs in, the user is defaulted to the "myhome" page - defeating the whole idea of using this module - UNLESS I am not utilizing this module correctly.

Check the latest version 1.1 which encomprise a redirectin by groupe feature...

pmcnamara
  • 2005/6/23 0:06

• pmcnamara

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/12/3

Shy one... you can find a good example of doing exactly what your talking about at www.lansingsportsrage.com

We decided to use the FAQ page as an open to visitors, and we set that as our start up page.

An unregistered member comes to the site and they get pushed into the FAQ page.. which displays a custom box, some previews of stuff available to registered members, but if you click on any of them, it says you must be registered to view.

Has worked well so far.

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits