Peekay
Building sites using Linux?
  • 2005/6/15 12:51

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

If I wanted to install Linux on a PC to build CMS driven sites like Xoops, can anyone recommend a Linux intallation package and some software to do the job?

I currently use PHP + MySQL on Windows. I use PHPEd to edit PHP files and Dreamweaver for editing HTML/Smarty templates. I use WAIS FTP Pro and PUTTY for Shell access.

Graphics and images are done on a Mac and imported, although I also have Photoshop on the PC which is useful if I need to modify things, so an image editor would be nice. The OS has to hook up to my NTL cable broadband service.

I am starting to do some research, but any advice, opinions or web links would be welcome.

BTW. If you think that this would be a really bad idea, please mention that too!.

McNaz
Re: Building sites using Linux?
  • 2005/6/15 13:52

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

The best Linux distro I've come across is Gentoo (www.gentoo.org). It is by far the fastest out there but definitely not for the faint hearted. You download the source and compile it for your particular hardware. Once you install that you can go with Apache2 and mod_php or Lighttpd and cgi_php. Also bring in mysql.

Lets put it this way. If you install Gentoo you will have a much better understanding of Linux than with any other distro IMHO.

I've got it running on a couple of xboxs at home serving up web pages and we use it on our Intranet over at work. Very good.

PHPed from NuSphere is my favourite php editor at the moment. Dreamweaver MX 2004 is my favourite for html.

Photoshop rocks too.

gediminasbyt

Or if you want to go with an easy way to see what Linux does go with RedHat corporate (paid) or RedHat's Fedora free line of products which is STABLE and excellent. Still I haven't found any good WYSIWYG editors for Linux though, there are couple like bluefish and Nvu. For images Gimp is unbeatable.
Then you go MySQL or PostgreSQL. Possibilities are endless depends on your needs. By the way Yum is the way to go for updates. Need more help? Go Unofficial Fedora FAQ

Gediminas

pegasus00321

I would recommend using Fedora, compiling is just a waste of CPU. Who the heck needs all the optimiziations.

You could also choose something like SME Server if want to be lazy.

Dave_L
  • 2005/6/15 19:58

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I've been using MEPIS, which is based on Debian, for several months. You can download the free .iso, from which you burn a Live CD. You can boot and run MEPIS from the CD, and if it works on your computer, you can install it on your hard drive.

The latest version 3.3.1 of MEPIS has Apache preinstalled, but I had already been using XAMPP (Apache+MySQL+PHP+Perl+etc), so I've stuck with the latter for now.

On MEPIS, I use Kate for editing PHP files and templates, gFTP for FTP, ssh for shell access. OpenOffice has an HTML editor, but I don't use that. Gimp is a full-featured image editor.

There are 1000s of other applications you can install from the Debian repositories.

The best support site for MEPIS is mepislovers.org, which uses XOOPS, and is run by CBlue.

JulioNC
  • 2005/6/15 21:23

• JulioNC

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/8

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
If I wanted to install Linux on a PC to build CMS driven sites like Xoops, can anyone recommend a Linux intallation package and some software to do the job?

new in linux!!! ,Ubuntu Linux!!!

To download: Visit our download page.

To order a pressed CD: Fill in your shipping address in Shipit - the Ubuntu CD Distribution System(Free)

//
// Distribution based on Debian.
// Guide Ubuntu -http://ubuntuguide.org/
//
// Software (to compare)
* Dreamweaver
* Photoshop

IDE tools for PHP
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/PHP-HOWTO-9.html

Free Alternatives
http://alts.homelinux.net/index.php (Spanish)

///// Test /////
Linux Distribution Chooser (test).

McNaz
  • 2005/6/15 22:00

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
I would recommend using Fedora, compiling is just a waste of CPU. Who the heck needs all the optimiziations.

Obviously lazy people don't. I take it you think there is nothing wrong with having a VW Beetle engine in a Ferrari. Nice car... shame its so slow

LazyBadger

Quote:

The best Linux distro I've come across is

FreeBSD , really best server choice... Gentoo - second (for home servers)

JulioNC
  • 2005/6/15 22:59

• JulioNC

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/8

but for a newie he would be appropriate ubuntu, fedora and mandriva....

Peekay
  • 2005/6/15 22:59

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Thanks for all the info guys and particular thanks for taking the time to add web links.

Anyone put a site together with Quanta Plus, Bluefish or NVu?

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits