EMSguy
simple hack (4 years in the works) paypal subscription
  • 2005/5/24 9:55

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

yea yea,

the old paypal subscription thread (again).

well I am desperate for a simple hack to allow a paypal

(using $uid,
and XOOPS code)
subscription button--->(then to paypal)--->ipn script

(to move the user to another group after validation)

I have tried without success to mod the xdonations module, I just don't know enough about php, let alone all the strange XOOPS code(which needs to be added to any bare script)just confuses me more.

I think I could figure it out if the xdonations module was simpler, as all I need is a few simple subscribe buttons that I can create to pass variables to paypal.

I will take any scripts hacks or bare code on how to do this. I can put it all together in a hack somehow.

But is there anyone that can help me out there, I am not asking for a module, block or anything.

the hardest part is the ipn, and changing of user groups after payment.

I don't need logs, stats, or anything else as paypal does this already when you have a merchant account.

Thanks
kevin

P.S.

Truly, why has nothing been done on this in the 4 years that I have read back in the forums regarding this? I have read a ton of empty promises from various posters who shall remain nameless, (Xoops module developers, etc..)

gtop00
Re: simple hack (4 years in the works) paypal subscription
  • 2005/5/24 10:06

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Dear EMSguy welcome to the club.

Have a look at this thread and join!

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/24 10:25

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

I know about it all, I have read nearly every post on paypal, ipn, subscriptions and posted many myself.

Inevitably, the simple turns complicated and no one wants to do this. I just want a simple hack with an ipn integrated to move groups after validation.

sigh.

Why no takers?

not even paypalnuke, the only other module for a cms wants to port it to xoops. Not sure why maybe its the xoopscode.

Just one---amember

why? cause amember sucks, not that its a bad script or anything, just because it is not incorporated into xoops. one stop shopping and XOOPS is the best cms out there for my needs. GNU/GPL at least.

I am afraid to even look at the commercial cms's out there. Since many are probably code stripped versions of php-nuke, or some other substandard cms.

Money?

I say someone make a paypal(payment gateway) subscriptions module and just charge $60 for it. Create your own license! use XOOPS code and call it free integration (to xoops) of your script. Therefore people are paying for the php script(licensed)and getting a free port to xoops. No GNU/GPL violation! everyone wins.

and there are at least 10 poeple in these forums alone that would fork out $60 for it, and thats probably just the hard core XOOPS users. more then likeley teher are about 100 people that would pay for such a script making the total about $6,000.

lots of profits in this one, just set up the script, your site, and charge for downloads!

Its funny I thought money was the motivator for everything.
yippie!

Shine
  • 2005/5/24 11:52

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Today I posted this topic:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=36477&forum=30&post_id=158649#forumpost158649

This is one hell of an running XOOPS example about the things you wrote.
Perhaps he/she is willing to release it with or without charging money?

Grtz., Shine

McNaz
  • 2005/5/24 12:22

• McNaz

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/21

Quote:
I say someone make a paypal(payment gateway) subscriptions module and just charge $60 for it. Create your own license! use XOOPS code and call it free integration (to xoops) of your script. Therefore people are paying for the php script(licensed)and getting a free port to xoops. No GNU/GPL violation! everyone wins.

I'm afraid its not that simple. You can indeed charge for the module but you cannot restrict the person who bought it from distributing it for free. A XOOPS module is considered to be an extention of XOOPS which is licensed under GPL. This means that you cannot restrict the distribution of GPLed code.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/24 12:22

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

Thanks,

I sent an email thru their contact page hopefully they will share the register.php and all other hacks. this would be just awesome!

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/24 12:36

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

Well then,

No inovation

if XOOPS wants more development then maybe they should ammend the GNU/GPL to allow for 3rd party products that are also modules, and that developers can charge and limit use to the person that bought the script.

xoops code?

How can an organization be so short sited to limit itself to donations and volunteer time? its that XOOPS code that makes it propietary to xoops.

Does this make sense?

So if I create 3000 lines of original php script, spending hours and days writing it and I use 10 lines of XOOPS code to make it a module, then that makes any license, that I determine on my script, to distribute "my" software null and void?

ok that is just (insert explitive here). If this is true then I have wasted about 2 and 1/2 years in here! Cause this will be the death of this software.

No wonder no one is willing to put their time and effort into making "bug" free modules.

I will now go and read completely the GNU/GPL agreement.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/24 12:44

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

ok actually modules that are developed would fall under this line of the agreement.

From the GNU/GPL license:
Quote:
These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole. If identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them as separate works.

so modules created by programmers and then "ported" to XOOPS are not part of the whole and thus are not bound by the agreement and can have their own license.

ok I am better now, I have read so many agruements over this in the forums. I just assumed everyone knew what they were talking about, was I wrong.

people make it sound as if anything you make for xoops, becomes part of the agreement. well clearly it does not, and those parts that are unique works and made to work with the XOOPS core are not bound by the agreement.

Mithrandir

going off topic from the original discussion, but anyway.

Our interpretation of the GNU/GPL is that if a module requires XOOPS in order to work, meaning that it uses the XOOPS database layer, configuration, class hierarchy etc. then it must be licensed under a GNU/GPL-compatible license.

So it depends on how independent code is "made to work" with XOOPS whether we would consider it part of "the Program".

Basically, it takes away the status of software itself as a product and focuses on services such as developing and supporting it.

I don't think that will be the death of this software.

EMSguy
  • 2005/5/24 13:29

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

Actually it explains to me why a subscription module has not been developed

I just read the interpretation of GNU/GPL (I guess I should have read it before, and all the other posts). well there goes invovation and the death of all opensource.

You all must realise that by having a GNU/GPL (interpreted this way), commercial applications will not be developed.

You should have a disclaimer on the front page of XOOPS stating the following:

Warning

This is free software! free to distribute, be for warned that since any code made to work with XOOPS must also be free to be re-distributed, regardless of your license, that any commercial development of additional scripts, modules, plugins, and so forth that use any part of xoops, will be severely slowed, possibly even never accomplished due to this policy.

Additionally

Any software that you spend 1000's of dollars on to have incorporated into the XOOPS CMS for your business is not copywritten, since it now becomes part of the XOOPS license, and may be distributed freely and without any ability for you to recoupt financial losses due to its use on a competitor site, or other organization, since it will also fall under the GNU/GPL.

so 4 years and no paypal subscription script, slow movement on modules and people unwilling to invest in creating modules is what has happend due to this policy.

Misguided beleifs?

Your ideas and faith in the GNU/GPL are honorable, with regards to the core, but other peoples work is other peoples work, no matter how you word it in a document and you should be warning people of this instead of refering to the simple documentation page of legal bable.

Many people in here are small business ownesr trying to make it and they use xoops. They don't have much money and are willing to buy modules, since the alternative is expensive cms programs that do nearly the same thing.

last note

Does anyone know of a good commercial cms that has subscription's in additon to all of XOOPS functions, and is cheap?

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits