z3r0c00l
WhiteSpace issue
  • 2005/5/14 16:15

• z3r0c00l

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/14

I'm new to XOOPS and am using the latest News module included with XOOPS 2.0.10

I'm using html in the new editor and am having problems with lots of white space showing up where If I just create a static page I have no problems at all. It seems that the editor in the news module is not reading in the html properly and adding white space.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the resolution?

You can see an example of the problem at: Example

Scroll down the page and you will see the massive whitespace issue. I've stripped all <br> and <p> tags and XOOPS still seems to insert them.

Bare in mind the site that is not fully baked yet just starting the design now.

Thanks,

pat

z3r0c00l
Re: WhiteSpace issue
  • 2005/5/15 13:16

• z3r0c00l

• Just popping in

I'm still having this problem. If I try just plain HTML such as:

<table width="75%" border="1">
  <
tr>
    <
td>&nbsp;</td>
    <
td>test</td>
    <
td>&nbsp;</td>
  </
tr>
    </
table>

I get lots of white space above the table. I have no breaks or paragraph tags. The XOOPS editor seems to not like regulat html code. Do I need to try other tags?

You can see an example of this problem at: 2007 Shelby GT500

thanks

p

z3r0c00l
  • 2005/5/16 22:03

• z3r0c00l

• Just popping in

So - now I've tried SPAW, and HTMLAREA to see if that helps. I still have the same whitespace issue. It seems as if you cannot cut and paste tables from any other editor or web pages into the editor without having these whitespace issues.

I'm trying to move some stuff from another site I maintain to a new site. I will have to re-write all the content from my old site that was in tables using the editor built into xoops, where instead it would be easier for me to just cut and paste my content.

Oh well - it's worth it. XOOPS is much faster than dotnetnuke of which I've been using for about 2 years now. the .net dll's take a while to wake up and cause very slow page reads.

thanks -

Mithrandir

News converts newlines to <br /> so in order to use HTML in news posts, you will have to write it all on one line.

Mithrandir

Btw. I have tried looking at dotnetnuke, but never got the confirmation mail that should give me a download link, so no chance for me to check it out.

What's it like? (just the highlights )

phppp
  • 2005/5/16 22:34

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

The news module needs one more option in news/include/storyform.inc.php:
"dobr", which controls line break conversion

To add the option, db structure needs to be changed as well.
So perhaps it is an alternative forcing to disable dobr if nohtml is disabled.

z3r0c00l
  • 2005/5/17 1:43

• z3r0c00l

• Just popping in

Quote:
News converts newlines to <br /> so in order to use HTML in news posts, you will have to write it all on one line.

Thanks -

I'll try that.

p

z3r0c00l
  • 2005/5/17 1:47

• z3r0c00l

• Just popping in

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Btw. I have tried looking at dotnetnuke, but never got the confirmation mail that should give me a download link, so no chance for me to check it out.

What's it like? (just the highlights )

It's pretty cool. I've had some trouble with the dll's loading up once in a while though.

- good for small sites
- no good message boards
- no good image galleries
- seems fairly secure
- fast to get up and running
- easy to create modules and integrate them

Bassman
  • 2005/5/17 1:55

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

I believe you can solve the problem by using a HTML compressor also. It probably has the same effect as writing the HTML all in one line, but without having to do it yourself. Look here for a freeware version.

tjandt
  • 2005/5/19 17:14

• tjandt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/5/6 1

Quote:

phppp wrote:
The news module needs one more option in news/include/storyform.inc.php:
"dobr", which controls line break conversion

To add the option, db structure needs to be changed as well.
So perhaps it is an alternative forcing to disable dobr if nohtml is disabled.

Is this being addressed in the new version of Xoops? This is *KEY* to the site I am currently developing for a basketball league I run.

I take all of my Excel results, copy them into FrontPage to generate the HTML for the tables, then am currently pasting them into a Drupal web site. You can see the league site here: DC 4v4 Basketball League

Drupal allows for a data entry method that accepts pure HTML and does not add line breaks or anything like that, though I MUCH prefer the ease of use of Xoops.

The only other issue that Drupal is much better than XOOPS at is that you can easily customize the Main Menu navigation. I have yet to find a way to add specific links to the menu tree on Xoops, but am in the process of trying to learn the multimenu module as a kludge for this.

If anyone knows how to hack the db structure and code to turn off the line break conversion, please please please let me know and I'd be more than willing to try it!

Thanks,
Tim

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits