therock
Chat module recommendations?
  • 2005/5/6 7:07

• therock

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/2 2

I wonder if anyone has a good recommendation of a chat module? I have looked in the “module repository” but I have trouble to decide whit’s one I should take. Is anyone use a chat module that’s works fine on there site? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Kumonryu_Kid
Re: Chat module recommendations?

I can't recomend which one is best, but I've tried most of them (except those based on MSN & IRC which I don't use) and Shoutbox was the only one that would work for me. If you drop me an e-mail, I'll give you a URL where you can see it working - It's still a BETA site so I don't want to publish the URL here.

I did however have to create my own module to site Shoutbox in as I wanted it in a page by itself, but this was very easy using tools provided here. I can let you have this code as well if you want.

Hope this helps,
Gareth

Chappy
  • 2005/5/6 10:11

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Uhh, if you did a simple search for "chat module", you would have seen this:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34588&forum=7&post_id=150578#forumpost150578

Search: try it you'll like it!

stuie200
  • 2005/5/6 11:43

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/4 2

I can highly recommend the XoopsChat module which if you pm me with your email address ill send you a fixed version complete with working private chat and shoutbox.

A working example can be seen here Xoopschat

This is only a development site so don't worry about what you see on there

Regards

Stuart

stuie200
  • 2005/6/4 19:15

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

I have now fully tested the XoopsChat module I mentioned before and all appears to be ok so I have submitted this new fix to the module repository just in case anybody else wished to download it.

Click here to access the download page.

Please leave some feedback or post a link to the working module once you have it installed and working, thanks

Regards

Stuie200

animas
  • 2005/6/4 19:24

• animas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/30

Non IRC modules cost site bandwidth and are not as fast for sending and displaying messages unless you use a chat server service.
[correct me if required ]

stuie200
  • 2005/6/4 19:46

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

animas wrote:
Non IRC modules cost site bandwidth and are not as fast for sending and displaying messages unless you use a chat server service.
[correct me if required ]

You are correct animas

This module can be quick if the setting are set to refresh faster but this results in using a little more site bandwidth (not worth worrying about though) as you stated and people using dial-up may not see the text in the messages as the screen will be refreshing quicker then they can download the page.

Dont let what i have tyed here though put you off using this module, it works very well and when setup correctly it can be used by everybody without any problems

Login

Who's Online

151 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 151

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits