piroman
How to change users avatar?
  • 2005/3/30 4:29

• piroman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/7 2

Some of my users are too "intelignet" to this, so I have to do it for them, any idea?

Kainaij
Re: How to change users avatar?
  • 2005/3/30 5:32

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Can you be a bit clearer on what you need?

piroman
  • 2005/3/30 5:52

• piroman

• Just popping in

Sorry for not being exact.

I have couple of members on my XOOPS site, who have asked me to create them an avatar. Reason, they don't know how to do it, they don't know how to make animated gif etc etc etc, so I did it for them, but now they are too lazy to upload it, so I have to do it instead of them. Since I'm not very experienced with xoops, I can't find the way to do this, because when I edit member profile, I can't add or change members avatar.

Kainaij
  • 2005/3/30 6:35

• Kainaij

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/5

Go here in your admin panel:
Preferences Main »» User Info Settings

About halfway down the page you'll see two fields:

Allow custom avatar upload? -and- Minimum posts required.

You must allow custom avatar and set the Minimum posts to zero if they are new members.

There has been security issues with avatar upload in earlier XOOPS incarnations, but that's another discussion.

piroman
  • 2005/3/30 7:49

• piroman

• Just popping in

My English is not good enought :)

I do know everything you wrote me, but I don't know how to upload avatar for user. My question was, how can Admin upload avatar and assign it to a user, without login as that user?

Sorry for my English :(

RolyMo
  • 2005/4/7 15:45

• RolyMo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/7 1

This is an excellent question!

My English is reasonable (!) - I understand what you mean and I would like to know the answer too.

So - how does an admin upload and allocate an avatar to a user's account for them?

mactoeknee
  • 2005/4/7 17:32

• mactoeknee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/26

Quote:

So - how does an admin upload and allocate an avatar to a user's account for them?

Admin cannot do it through the menu system, as far as I have been able to find.

Only way is the 'sneaky' way, which I don't condone, but might work for this person since the user is so lazy-- change the user's password, log in as him/her to change the avatar, and then e-mail him/her that his/her password had to be reset.

T

RolyMo
  • 2005/4/10 8:44

• RolyMo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/7 1

Thanks for the information.

It is a shame though. I don't want to enable signatures - many people in the target community would put banner image signatures there and I'd prefer a cleaner look than that.

But I would like to have visual cues to who has written a post, so avatars are my prefered option. Inevitably, some users will required more assisstance - its not about anyone being lazy.

The target community of my site is familiar with managing their avatars through phpBB (the almost universal forum system in that community). Ironic because phpBB, of course, gives administrators the facility to handle a user's avatar for them!

I guess there would be a phpMyAdmin route to solving this issue - but who wants to do that?

Would this be a good action item to propose for the XOOPS team for future updates?

I respect and admire all the work that has gone into the product and take none of that for granted. I wish I had the skills to propose the coded solution myself. As an end user, I hope it is welcomed by the development team that this suggestion is accepted in the spirit with which it is offered.

piroman
  • 2005/4/17 11:05

• piroman

• Just popping in

RolyMo,

I used phpbb earlier, hence my user are so spoiled :(

I made a strong decision NOT to move back to phpbb nor to experiment with soop portal etc. I want to use just XOOPS and newbb, but I want them to have full functionality. Lack of possibility to assign avatr to user, or to cut tread in forum are just TOO MUCH. But I've learned to live with them :)

I've been asking for phpbb2newbb converter for months, and when I stoped and did manual conversion, the converter arrived :)

I'll just wait for solution & won't move my finger about it :(

thx for support RolyMo!!!

Hisoka
  • 2005/4/17 11:36

• Hisoka

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/2 1

I think you can do it easily by phpMyAdmin.

Look at this method:

1)- Upload your avatar to "uploads" directory of XOOPS (in main root directory). Your avatar must be named something like "savtavatarxx.gif". In this example, it will be called "savtavatar01.gif".

2)- Go to phpMyAdmin.Click on "xoops_avatar" table.Go to "display".In the bottom of this page, you've got a link in phpMyAdmin "Inser a new record". Fill in avatar-id etc..
For avatar_id put a number which correspond to be the last in your table (you can see it when you've clicked on display).
for avatar_file >>savtavatar01
avatar_name >>avatar01 or what you want
avatar_display >>1 (you can put 0 if you don't want the others to see it and to choose it in the list, but i don't think this is necessary because when you check the user profile, you can do right click/save image to... and then upload the avatar for you.Maybe it is interesting if you have disabled avatar upload :))/

After click on "Execute".

3)- Then click on "xoops_avatar_user_link". Click on display and then inser a new record.
avatar_id >>> The number you enter in 2)
user_id >>>The id of the user you want (if you don't know it, go to "xoops_users" table,click on display (as usual :)) and then check "uid" it is its "id" you must enter)

4)-Enjoy

I think this can work and i Hope but i haven't tested. If there is one problem (or if it works :;)) please let me know.

Good Xoops

Login

Who's Online

239 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 239

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits