eric235u
mySQL backup with phpMyAdmin
  • 2005/3/29 17:59

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

Hi all. This is my first time using a dynamic website and want to make sure I'm backing everything up correctly. Yes yes I'm asking for some hand holding here. I'm just worried I'm going to loose all my data by over looking something simple. So,

My little site is hosted and I'm using phpMyAdmin. After logging in I click on the database on the left hand drop down selection box, then click export. On the page "View dump (schema) of database" I click select all and leave SQL checked as the default export. I leave the default Structure and Enclose table and field names with backquotes checked. Data is also checked. I check save as file with "File name template : __DB__. This gives me a nice text document.

Now I know I need to start going through the mySQL docs, but until I get the time to do so, am I backing up correctly? Thanks for any tips.

gecko
Re: mySQL backup with phpMyAdmin
  • 2005/3/30 6:00

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/11

Hi eric
Thats what i do, i'm not 100% it's right, but it looks good.
I also copy my whole site down to desktop and zip it up before any major change.The you can always go back 1 step.
Yep its labour intensive and sucks some bandwidth but
It's too easy to get carried away changing things and then finding an error a week later.

Good luck, maybe someone else can confirm 100%?

gecko

terrion
  • 2005/3/30 6:21

• terrion

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/9/19

There's a nice little Backup Module that I like to use on every XOOPS site I manage, or help to manage. It does essentially the same thing you described, just does it through a bock right inside xoops.

I only let the Webmaster Group have rights to see that block, just like hiding the Waiting Contents block from regular users.

I've successfully restored a database that I had crashed when working on stuff more than once with the .sql file it outputs.

Hope this helps,

Chappy
  • 2005/3/30 6:26

• Chappy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/12/14

Second Terrions suggestion. I've been using that module for a long while now and it works flawlessly.

It also sounds like you have the phpMyAdmin approach correctly, too.

artigas
  • 2005/3/30 6:34

• artigas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/21

Greetings - Terrion is correct.

I use that module as admin and backup just before and just after any mayor changes.

In addition there is a site backup module athttp://www.tswn.com/. The developer is making a couple of changes, so drop by an offer a little encouragement.

So in theory, you can do a backup of the database to the cache and then do a site backup and you would have it all.

Hope That Helps.

gecko
  • 2005/3/31 2:15

• gecko

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/11

please clarify....

The back up module mentioned by terrion backs up MySQL database and any other files?
and it is stored where?

Thanks for the good info in this thread guys very useful
Gecko

eric235u
  • 2005/3/31 15:52

• eric235u

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/12/19

I just installed XOOPS Backup 2.16 and it seems pretty good. Seems to do the same thing as I was doing with phpMyAdmin (sql text), it's just nice to have it in a simple block. I noticed in the default it gives Registered Users access to the block, I made sure to turn that off. Neat tool to add to the arsenal. My host does backups, I occasionally use phpMyAdmin and now with this block if I loose data the gods are just being hateful. Thanks for the suggestions!

karedokx
  • 2005/3/31 16:29

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

i use the backpack module, to backup my XOOPS database. a pretty powerful product too..

carnuke
  • 2005/3/31 16:54

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

If your host offers cpanel, I suggest this would be a good way to backup and restore both database and XOOPS files. If you use phpmyadmin you have a 300 second timeout, so large db files will fail to restore. This does not occur when using cpanel's backup/restore feature. The cpanel restore feture is under the bachup link. It looks a bit dodgy, because it simply offers a file upload browse option. You have to already have an exact name match for the database you want to restore on your local machine. My database exceeds 40mb and the backup restore on cpanel works on this faultlessly.

There are other options like Bigdump, but wait .... all this is in a faq!

Richard

Peekay
  • 2005/3/31 19:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I would prefer to offer my admins a module backup from within XOOPS if at all possible. Can anyone work out how big a DB file could be backed up (with a reasonable safety margin) in 300 secs?. It may be adequate for most of my clients.

Login

Who's Online

144 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 144

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits