artigas
New XOOPS Install ???
  • 2005/3/25 21:23

• artigas

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/21

Greetings -

I am attempting to use XOOPS for our company's internal website. However, I am having dificulty intalling it on our local server.

I goes through all the checks up to displaying the database parameters. Then when it goes to check the database I get a blank page and nothing happens.

The database exists. The root user to create the database exists, it has access to the database, the password is set correctly. I am sitting at the console, it is the localhost, and everything looks okay.

I must have missed something since it is not going through the database checks at all.

Any sugestions will be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.

jdseymour
Re: New XOOPS Install ???

Hi artigas,

At exactly what screen does it fail?:

1. Confirming settings

2. Writing to mainfile.php

3. createing or connecting to the database

4. Or adding data to the tables

Also what environment are you installing on.

And finally take a look at my Xoops Installation Flash Tutorial. and see if there is anything else that you might of missed.

HTH.

artigas
  • 2005/3/28 20:59

• artigas

• Quite a regular

Greetings jdseymour -

It dies on step 3). I have created 'xoops' database. So it fails in the connection.

The particulars of the site are:

Linux: REDHAT 2.4.21-1
Apache: 2.0.40
PHP: 4.2.2
MySQL: 4.1.10a

I did notice that "Virtual Directory Support" is disabled. I do not know if that makes a difference.

Please note, that our sysadmin is rather new at this role, so we will lack experience at some of the site setup items the more knowledgable members of this community take for granted.

BTW: Very nice tutorial. I have my personal XOOPS site up and running already. There are some very nice features in XOOPS that will allow our company to use it for an internal web site. And that is the reason that I am attempting to install a version here.

rts2271
  • 2005/3/28 23:19

• rts2271

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/26

It's the new password hash in mysql. It is incompatible witht he client library PHP is currently using. Having same issue myself. Will post a work around if I find it and no the OLD_PASSWORD('PASS') function doesnt work.

artigas
  • 2005/3/28 23:58

• artigas

• Quite a regular

Greetings rts2271 -

Thank you for the response. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks In Advance.

rts2271
  • 2005/3/29 0:36

• rts2271

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/26

ok I found this that works for all my sites except Xoops. However I think I screwed some permissions up on the pages themselves.
Try the following things
If its a existing install
Update your passwords with
update mysql.user set Password= OLD_PASSWORD('PASSWORD') WHERE User='USER';
If its a new install use
mysqladmin -u root password 'PASSWORD' to initially set the password
Then log into your MySQL as root by
mysql -u root -pPASSWORD
in the MySQL interface issue a
use mysql;
then reset the password to the old system with
update user set Password= OLD_PASSWORD('PASSWORD') WHERE User='root';
then issue a
flush privileges;
then quit the interface
then stop mysql
restart with the following parameter attached to your startup routine.
mysql start --old-passwords
This forces the 4.1 engine to use the older password client libraries.
I dont know if that helps your case or not but it did bring all my sites except my xoosp one back up(again a permissions issue there I think)
**UPDATE**
My issues with XOOPS was a permissions oversight on my part durring the transfer. Indeed the above steps has restored my XOOPS instalation and another buddies whose been going thru this for about a month. For some reason apache for myself and a few others doesnt accept just the OLD_PASSWORD fix that helps a number of other users. You also have to tell the db engine to use the older libraries. Granted your not going anywhere security wise but man I really want insert yadda yadda on duplicate keys lol.
Note I cant wait til mysql5 and we get stored procs.

artigas
  • 2005/3/30 23:35

• artigas

• Quite a regular

Greetings rts2271 -

Thank you.

m0nty
  • 2005/3/30 23:47

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i would also suggest updating php to most current version (4.3.10) instead of 4.2.2 then you could use new password algorhythms and also most of the bugs in php 4.2.2 won't be present..

i know it's on an internal site so it's not a big problem, but really you oughta use the most upto date versions :)

Login

Who's Online

130 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 130

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits