bradburn
Installing Xoops site on windows 2003
  • 2005/3/16 11:46

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/1/26

Ok,

I know that you guys will probably just point me in the direction of the FAQ's or a guide that explains how to do it - Thats ok if its instructions for a windows 2003 server.

I am just looking for the easiest way to install my XOOPS site on a new windows 2003 server - I want to get all the proper installs for it.

I am transfering the site (an intranet site I am building)
from my local machine on to the server. - I have been using XSAS to build it on my local machine.

What is the best way to do this, i have read loads about it but am still a little confused...

I intend to burn all the folders in my XOOPS folder on to cd and transfer on to the server - is it possible to do this?

Am i supposed to export the database? even though I am transfering all the files?

The server does have IIS 6, so what version of PHP do i install? - I have downloaded "php installer 4.3.8.1" Is this the correct one? - Is this the CGI binary plus API version?

What else will i need to install to get my site working on the intranet? Is there anything else you think I need to install too?

I have read somewhere that I dont need to bother with IIS and I should install EasyPHP?! Its all soo confusing

Sorry for being a complete noob! What is the best way of installing my XOOPS intranet on the new 2003 server? I appreciate all your help,

Many many thanks,

Rob B

brash
Re: Installing Xoops site on windows 2003
  • 2005/3/16 11:58

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hey Rob,

I've been using Windows 2003 / IIS 6 for a while now, and I think using the Easy PHP installer from John Lim is a very good idea for the new user. It is a lot more slick than PHP's own installer and sets itself up using MMcache in fastCGI mode which has been a very solid performer for me.

bradburn
  • 2005/3/16 12:07

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

Cheers Brash,

I will look in to that now,

How easy is it to copy the existing intranet I am working on to the new server? Can I get away with just copying the files across exactly?

Would I then need to edit mainfile.php to change all the connection details?

Or am I missing something crucial (probably!)?

Rob

brash
  • 2005/3/16 22:30

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

What you'll need to do in basic terms is;

1) Copy files to new server. I generally create a partition specifically for hosting my websites to increase security.

2) Change the 'XOOPS_ROOT_PATH' value in mainfile.php to reflect the new location (and 'XOOPS_DB_HOST' if applicable).

3) Make sure IIS is installed.

4) Install John Lim's PHP Easy Installer from here. Follow the instructions and you should be pretty safe.

5) Install MySQL and setup usernames and import databases.

6) Setup website in IIS and configure the home directory to point toward the root directory of your XOOPS website. ALso set the default document to index.php.

That should be about it...

bradburn
  • 2005/3/17 10:39

• bradburn

• Not too shy to talk

Cheers Brash,

Will let you know how I get on!

JamesSAEP
  • 2005/3/17 16:37

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

I'm running my site on a Windows 2003 server with everything working except the email function. How do I setup my site to email to a POP account?

What is needed on the Windows server (sendmail equivalent)?

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits