binarywhispr
1st xoops site launched 2 days ago

Hi! well you know why I'm here :)

quinteonline.com

I stumbled across XOOPS a few weeks back. I'm a Dreamweaver/Photoshop designer so this was completely new to me ... still is lol

I modified the Karate-redox theme to suit my needs. I spent the first two weeks modifing a different theme only load it on an LCD monitor at work and realize it looked all washed out on LCD's. Lesson learnt

Critic me to death, I can handle it :)

Bulls
Re: 1st xoops site launched 2 days ago
  • 2005/3/13 16:58

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi

Site is looking quite impressive if you have only just 'stumbled' across XOOPS as you put it .

I take it the site is being advertised kind of locally? The site would then make more sense to me as I can't really connect with it as a UK citizen obviously. Once I thought of myself being someone from that area the site grew on me. Still think maybe the first page is a little vague though and some emphasis should be put on exactly the reason for the site. People's attention span is practically zero and unless you hit them in the face with the reason for the site they might be too lazy to delve deeper.

I like the 'friendly' feel to the site and think that really should be exaggerated even more. Not sure how that could be achieved but your smiling face helps . Maybe more local news and related pictures as well?

Nice site and sure is developing well.

MKJ
My own developing site!

binarywhispr

hey, thanks for the critique. I had given up on anyone posting a reply after watching 100's of visitors from here check it out and no one taking the time to say anything.

You are 100% correct that it is specifically a regional site/portal. It has two purposes, 1st-to act as a community resource, 2nd- to promote my name and face as I enter the real estate market. I have read your commentary carefully and thank you for your thoughts. You are spot on and I will take your
advice.

Your site is quite interesting. How come you have a Mambo site and your hanging out in a XOOPS forum ?
I almost left thinking that your domain had expired and been taking over by an affiliate farmer. After spending a moment I come to the conclusion that you are the affiliate farmer.

Technically the site is very well put together although it's very generic and many surfers might leave right away with the same reaction that I had, that the link has expired and is being harvested by an affiliate farmer. I, like most people run into those types of sites daily and rarely spend enough time to do more then identify it as expired domain.

thanks again for taking the time to look and talk. It is appreciated.

Bulls
  • 2005/4/10 15:03

• Bulls

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/8 1

Hi

Seems my comments have proved useful?

My own site has just been altered to Mambo. Believe it or not but XOOPS is still a part of it. I am able to pull in various bits of XOOPS into the Mambo such as the xcomics etc. Obviously the postings such as this one are a bit out of date now with regard to my own site but infact XOOPS will be demonstrated on there under the 'Webmaster' section. I did infact mess about with some themes for XOOPS but time is a factor for me and I just couldn't carry on with theme designing. My site currently holds over 450 company websites and will soon hold a few hundred software ones as well with links to literally thousands of products. Along with all that I am going to develop a Webmaster script section and run a phpBB2 forum that hopefully I can modify with the Hirachy Category coding. Added to the forum will be a shoutbox so people can talk to each other as well. I have many many plans and a great deal of work to carry out . But I enjoy doing it. I even have a home server running in the background and allow DAOC gamers to have their films hosted.

Will pay a visit to your site and see how things are going.

Regards

MKJ
Sites-4u

Edit:

Just paid a visit to your site and can see you have been busy. Looks like it is coming on fine. Few things I would do differently but not much. I always try to avoid the site having to reload fully on every link so I use a lot of iframes. The pages load very fast then and there are no white flashes. No need to get involved in that though.

You are having trouble with Flash games? Why not go the full hog and install the flash games module from here? Also the video one is good as well. Infact there is a way to dispense with the actual modules and install the games and videos directly through iframes such as on my site. Again though you don't have to do this so it should be easier for you.

For anyone interested in how to use modules from one portal show in another then I will post details soon. Isn't that hard infact.

There is one module available for Mambo that I am going to look closely at. Why I am mentioning it is because it allows you to create a 'webring'. You can effectively offer webpages to your friends and website visitors and control them. Sounds like something that would be of great benefit to your site. When I have learned more I will repost.

Keep up the good work

MKJ
Sites-4u

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits