asche
howto install "dual Xeon - personal workstation"
  • 2005/3/4 11:56

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

yesterday I blew up a Samsung SpinPoint SP1614N hdd (fast and quite, but I ruined it - mit einer Wäscheklamer als Abstandshalter). I bought a Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 SATA - 160GB, but I can not install on this hdd even my mobo should support SATA.

So now I have this sata hdd and decided to build a more stable "personal workstation" around it and ended up:

"personal workstation":
Dual Xeon
3,2 ghz (prices dropped by 30%)
ncch-dl (mobo)
2 Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 SATA - 160GB

Questions:
is the 3,2 ghz dual Xeon a good choice?
what tower case (sorry, I mean the Gehäuse).
cooling (must be quiet -> dont laugh, I will use this "personal workstation" as my 10 hours-a-day pc)?
any adapters I need?
and else .... will be back with more questions and infos I found

The purpose of the "personal workstation" is to build a really fast and stable personal pc, where I can install eclipse on a oracle db and checkout "online database" related stuff like oscommerce, b.i.r.t, olap, webmining ...
The "personal workstation" should be very fast and support multitasking (like 20 open windows and 12 oracle services, also backup system -> which raid?).

You think I can continue with my TSW WAMP or must I install a serious os for my purpose and switch to Linux (which distribution -> is Suse a good choice -> by the way, is XOOPS still the no1-choice-cms of novell?)?????????????

Can anybody comment on my little "dual xenon" project and give me tips and tricks howto?

best regards

asche

hyperpod
Re: howto install "dual Xeon - personal workstation"
  • 2005/3/4 12:25

• hyperpod

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/4

Very nice, sounds like a nice box for XOOPS and all the rest you plan to do... now can you send one to me? (bad joke)

I have a 3.2 Ghs Single Box that I recently installed Apace, MySQL, PHP and XOOPS onto... It runs great and I really love how fast XOOPS runs on it, locally, without any netlag.

Now if the interenet goes down, i still have a way to develop XOOPS related stuff and its nice and smooth and fast.

The nice thing about Linux is you can install it ONTOP of Windows and run both.

Then you could have a LAMP & WAMP box at the same time.

SuSe is nice. I like it. Its what I use for my local servers.

I also use Debiam on my hosting service and seems very good.

But yeah, you dont have to lost Windows to install linux, just create a dual boot [W|L]AMP box ;)

do you need my address to send another box too? hehe

Cheers,

asche
Re: howto install "dual Xeon - personal workstation"
  • 2005/3/4 13:43

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

thanks for the info concerning running both os (running Linux "on top" is really great, because I can not do without my windoze (all those little apps like bc compare or dtsearch desktop -> they dont run on Linux? ->I'll be back with questions).

info to "dual xeon"
there is a phantastic price-drop at for dual xeon at Dell
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=sc1420sapp&s=bsd
"dual xeon" 2.8 ghz: 800 $ -> 500 $ (this is us bucks, the rest is in euro)
Save $300 on select PowerEdge SC1420 servers through the Small Business division.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/DiscountDetails.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=sc1420sapp&s=bsd
Dell Germany now 450 euro
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc1420?c=de&cs=debsdt1&l=de&s=bsd&~tab=specstab#tabtop

Dell not only follows price drop for xeon processor by 30% (now 325 euro for 3.2 ghz, but sells the whole workstation for 30% off. If you upgrade at Dell to 3.2 ghz you pay around 800 euro total for "dual Xeon - personal workstation" -> thats 650 for 2 processors + 150 for mainboard -> the rest is for free?).

I dont believe it myself. I am going to by this dell thing and throw out the mobo, built in ncch-dl mobo (because of 875p chipset) with cheap ddr (4 * 512mb ddr400 = 220 euro) and I am offfffffffffff ......

asche
Re: "dual Xeon - personal workstation" - "Ncch-dl mainboard"
  • 2005/3/17 10:02

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

... I still like this Asus ncch-dl "dual Xeon-board" and think of buying a couple of them

"dual Xeon-board" reference (euros):

Gehäuse Antec 160p (120,-)
Netzteil Antec Antec True Power 550W (120,-)
Asus ncch-dl "dual Xeon-board" (230,-)
dual Xeon 3.0 ghz (2 * 270,-)
512 mb pc400 (4 * 50,-)
Hitachi 250 gb sata (125,-)

So if anyone wants a real cheap ncch-dl (around 125,-) please contact me at webmaster@funkpause.de and we can try to get more for less. For anybody interested: a complete "dual Xeon-board" costs around 1300,- if you buy parts at different distributors like mindfactory (anybody knows a good distributor for ncch-dl, 3.0 ghz Xeon, Antec ...?).

greetings asche

PS: The Dell PowerEdge SC1420 Server (mentioned in first posting) is a very good offer as well, but it has maindboard with different socket (e7525?) and needs expensive ddr2 memory.

asche
Re: "dual Xeon - personal workstation" - "baby is flying ..."
  • 2005/5/26 8:16

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

"dual Xeon server" with ncch-dl mobo is up and running:

"dual Xeon server" (Euro):

Asus ncch-dl "dual Xeon-board" (230,- Euro)
dual Xeon 3.0 ghz (2 * 270,-)
512 mb pc400 (4 * 50,-)
Hitachi 250 gb sata (125,-)
Netzteil Antec Antec True Power 550W (110,-)
Miditower Yeong Yang W-201 (120,-)

These parts cost about 1330,- Euro. If you are happy to run the server with only 1gb memory than you get this box for not much more than 1200,- Euro.

My first impression: it is a real powerbox, but the "raw box" is loud.

My first question: I can only run 1 sata disk + 1 sata burner on connector "sata 1" and "sata 2". I tried to add more devices on the raid connectors (after enabling sata raid -> I dont want to run raid, I just want to use the 4 additional raid connectors), but then the devices are not found. Anybody knows how to enable this "ncch-dl raid".

So if anybody wants to know more about this "dual Xeon box" I'd be happy to answer.

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits