Delta-Gamer
Presentation Advice for my new site.
  • 2005/2/16 6:08

• Delta-Gamer

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/15

I got a month for a dollar at a webhost to test out all the cool web scripts and content management systems there are. A few days ago I decided to uninstall all the rest of the content management systems and concentrate on Xoops. Now I have a few articles and I've created and moved blocks and groups and just about everything else. Now I want to know if there's a better way of doing things that I'm just missing. Go on over to my site and see:
http://delta-gamer.com

I have written news articles about how to set up Crimson Editor to work with three popular C/C++ compilers. I wrote them as news articles because the only other module for content of this type that I saw was 'Sections'. Sections doesn't have the rich textbox functions like News does.

Anyway, I want to update and expand later with tutorials and am going to go back and add to what I already have. Before I post more content as News I'd like to know if there's a better way I'm not seeing.

Thanks in advance,
-Jason

brian100
Re: Presentation Advice for my new site.
  • 2005/2/16 16:48

• brian100

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/7 2

The only thing I'd suggest (if you prefer using news for tutorials--and why not?) is to install one of the other umpteen news modules and rename it "Tutorials". Then rename the block titles to match this.

Now you'll have "news" and "tutorials" listed as menu options and can have a "recent news" block and a "latest tutorials" block. Now it's no problem to have a "most popular tutorials" block, grant users the right to submit one and not the other etc, etc...

Of course you could do something similar just by setting up various topics in your news modules, but I'm guessing you'll like this way better.

Brian

Mithrandir

There are also other modules available for articles - Articles, WF-Section, Soapbox and AMS to name the most popular. News is also itself out in a RC version 1.3 with many features over the standard 1.1 version distributed with the core - and a version 1.2 has been out for quite a long time also with additional features over the 1.1 version.

Delta-Gamer
  • 2005/2/16 18:22

• Delta-Gamer

• Just popping in

Yes, I think I'll use one of those and rename it. Now I'm off to find documentation to help me with installing.

Thanks again

Delta-Gamer
  • 2005/2/18 22:30

• Delta-Gamer

• Just popping in

I installed Zmagazine and renamed it Articles and Resources. Now News is for news and real useful information will go in Articles and Resources. Now I need to get the google ads to work right.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits