solo71
[EDITO] Edito 2.4 goes interactive. Opinion requested!
  • 2005/2/9 8:24

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

Now that the Edito 2.3 is released and seems to be pretty stable *phew*, I'm already working on the next version : Edito 2.4.

I have big plans regarding this version : openning edito to user submissions.

That is, not the classical XOOPS way, of course. The purpose of this version is to give the possibility to user to submit, edit and manage their own editos. So here are some features I would like to see in this version:

1) User side :
- Possibitlity to registered users (and not the anonymous) to submit one or more edito.
- Once created, the user/owner of the edito would be able to edit or delet it.
- Possibility to define wether it is a public or private content (i.e.: is it publically displayed or not?)
- Upload their own illustration picture.

2) Admin would be able to:
- set the number of allowed edito user would be able to creat (ranging from one to unlimited).
- define the standard settings (i.e.: type of display alike the advanced settings, links, index display, block display, etc.)
- Groups which would be able to submit/edit their edito and even see them.
- Possibility to moderat user editos.

3) Index display:
- Different way to display created editos in index. Ranking by latest edito or by user. With or without summary (alike in admin section).
- Link to the edito's editor.

4) Block display:
- Same as Index display.

Any other ideas are welcome...

I have opened the same thread on WolFactory.

Shine
Re: [EDITO] Edito 2.4 goes interactive. Opinion requested!
  • 2005/2/9 8:52

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

This sounds GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since an edito can be added to the main menu as a sub. I think it would be handy if you also can create a submenu visibility by username, likewise the Index Display. (if I understand your proposal right)
Actually the user's display would be somekind of independed categories.
If you click on the user's edito(which is actually a category) you'll get an overlook of all his/her's added edito's, within his/her's own user cat.

Hm,..hope I am clear in what I mean.

Grtz., Shine.

carnuke
  • 2005/2/9 9:48

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Solo, Stop reading my unsent emails

I was just going to let the dust settle on this new release and then suggest exactly these types of extra features!

Here's another one... following the enormous requests for 'Home pages' for XOOPS members, lets make a block system where each user who has access to post editos' also has their own block to display only their publications.

Now make these user blocks so that they can all be added to a specific page displaying all the users blocks.

A little bit like Soapbox module, where users have their own column.

If you did this, admins could also use this system to make categories if they did not want 'home users' to display different content.

Mmmm, I see the steam a rising already

Richard

solo71
  • 2005/2/9 9:56

• solo71

• Module Developer

He he... That sounds really interesting.

Let it come.

carnuke
  • 2005/2/9 10:47

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Sorry to hog the requests ...

Another thing I would find useful is to be able to put a specific logo (image)above a block. If you look at my home page on my site, you will see I have an image over the "Daily alternative news and comment" block. Its a separate custom block at the moment, because I havn't hacked the edito block template.

I know you can include a logo in a block, but then it includes it in the story as well which can become messy in a long list.

Including a logo/image for a block would also be good if you implemented the 'home pages' idea, people could add their own picture

solo71
  • 2005/2/9 12:19

• solo71

• Module Developer

What about this picture being the user's avatar?

Shine
  • 2005/2/9 13:14

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Quote:
What about this picture being the user's avatar?

Not all website use this avatar function........
I think this picture/logo showing should be an option.
If the website alows user-avatar the included picture is standard the avatar. Otherwise there should be an possibility to upload 1 picture/logo within the user's editor.

Grtz., Shine

carnuke
  • 2005/2/9 13:22

• carnuke

• Home away from home

I agree with shine here, the block image should be optional and selectable from the edito's upload folder maybe? or just called from anywhere with an [img] tag .

Another request... a ticker block listing all titles, clickable to the editos.

We throw in some ideas, but as the programmer, you have to decide if this is the way you want to go, I guess.

Really good to see you developing this module further. It has some useful features that make it stand out from the rest. You're on a 'roller' here

solo71
  • 2005/2/9 14:59

• solo71

• Module Developer

Let's try to be more clear on thi...

1) You want to display a specific logo for each and every edito block (whatever content, source or author, it is the same logo). Which is quite easy to implement, just look at the index banner.

2) Each and every user who has an edito has the possibility to show up his own edito with specific and personnal logo (i.e: the avatar - easy or a specific logo he has uploaded on the server - less easy*).

* Why is it uneasy? Not that it is not doable, but I try to keep in mind the userfriendly aspect of this module, giving user (I mean not the admin) the least possible settings to define, and the easiest way to manage his own content. Adding such a feature would, in my opinion, add an extra feature which is not that much important, but that would complicate the access and use of the module (user side, of course).

Wadayathink?

Quote:
carnuke said:

Another request... a ticker block listing all titles, clickable to the editos.

Not sure to get you well on this one. There are the menu blocks..?

solo71
  • 2005/2/9 17:04

• solo71

• Module Developer

So here we are with Edito 2.4 totally BETA ! .

This is of course, just a test version. Some define are missing as well.

I haven't added any block functionalities regarding the userside (called MyEdito function).

Have a look, play with it (using different users) and let me know.

Login

Who's Online

236 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 236

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits