iolai
Dynamic profiles
  • 2005/2/5 23:31

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

I wonder when dynamic profiles will be implemented. I think it is a crucial feature that will make a lot of websites to be more suited for their customers needs, making XOOPS more attractable.

In addition, I want to thank all the XOOPS developers for all the time they spend developing the modules and the core.

Thank you!

carnuke
Re: Dynamic profiles
  • 2005/2/5 23:34

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
I wonder when dynamic profiles will be implemented

What is this? I don't understand the feature.. Do you mean customisable fields in the user profile?

Thanks for your comments on development, this is well appreciated by those who are too busy developing code to post on these boards !!

[edit] just went to your website... that's the fastest loading website I've seen in ages Great impact!

LazyBadger

Quote:

What is this? I don't understand the feature.

I think it's smth like profiles in e107. I.e by default profile table have big set of fields, and site admin define
- which fields are visible
- which fields are mandatory

iolai
  • 2005/2/7 11:09

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

Thank you on the compliments :)

Right now the fields are:
Nickname, name, email, URL, time zone, ICQ, AIM, YIM, MSNM, Location, Occupation, Interest, signature, etc.

If I wanted to add a field, I would have to do atleast the following steps:
1. Changing manually the structure of users table in the database.
2. Changing the way the details displayed on various pages.
3. Adding checks to see if the field is mandatory or not.

Dynamic profile is when you can do all of the above in a few clicks. For example, if I wanted to add Skype field to that list, and remove several other fields, I'd have to go to admin panel, click on dynamic profile page, and do the changes in a few clicks (adding new field, marking if it is mandatory, removing other fields, etc).

This is something XOOPS should implement, in my opinion, because a lot of sites need other details to be filled in the user profile than the default details given.

Of course, all the things could be done when you dig into the code, but ideally, it should be a few clicks away.

I remember someone from the development talking about it a while ago (half a year or so), so I was wondering if it will be implemented anytime soon.

Thank you very much!

carnuke
  • 2005/2/7 11:18

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Iolai, yes, you and a 1000 other users want this I think

It has come up several times before as a request, and I can guess that future core releases will bring in 'dynamic profiles' We can hope so anyway.

Currently, I am not even aware of any hacks that do this.

Mithrandir

Many people want this. Many people request this. Many people think this is a good idea. Many people expect a handful of people to do this. Noone is thinking about making a module for this.

Anything wrong with the picture?

I can assure you that there will be even LESS in the future core than there is today - but it will be easier to extend the functionality of the core in the future. However, there is nothing to hinder anyone making modules with a dynamic menu block, a dynamic registration form, a dynamic user profile etc. right now.

codeghost
  • 2005/2/7 12:28

• codeghost

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
Many people want this. Many people request this. Many people think this is a good idea. Many people expect a handful of people to do this. Noone is thinking about making a module for this.

Anything wrong with the picture?

I can assure you that there will be even LESS in the future core than there is today - but it will be easier to extend the functionality of the core in the future. However, there is nothing to hinder anyone making modules with a dynamic menu block, a dynamic registration form, a dynamic user profile etc. right now.

Wow, you really took me back with this answer. I might be wrong but your attitude here is nothing short of a very large put down to those people who do not have the 'luxury' of being such a person like yourself with a little bit of coding knowlegde.

You might think it ok to say what you have said but I personally think you have just kicked this guy in the teeth here. We do not all have the ability to code so we help in other area's and the whole point is to take part in anyway we can. Thats what I thought the whole point of XOOPS is/was?

I personally believe that this area is a 'core' issue and NOT a module one and if you can't see that, then maybe your a bit short sighted than people give you credit for.

carnuke
  • 2005/2/7 12:46

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Quote:
You might think it ok to say what you have said but I personally think you have just kicked this guy in the teeth here.

Thanks codeghost, for your comment, however, see my teeth they are just fine.

I took Mith's comment as an open invitation for others to stop asking and start initiating themselves.

Yes, I know that is hard, if you have no coding experience, but that's the nature of the beast.

It also set things straight about any future features in core releases... that's useful information IMHO.

Let me just also add that Mithrandir is a well respected and experienced xoopser and if his style is ,,, a little terse at times, those that know him realise and accept his way is a positive input to this community.

Richard

codeghost
  • 2005/2/7 12:56

• codeghost

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/26

@carnuke:

My comments where to the orginal poster and not yourself.

Yes and the nature of the beast is that those who cannot code make up for other parts of XOOPS that would otherwise take up a coders time, that again is also the nature of the beast.

So if the guys who cannot code said the exact same thing and who they helped with documentation, themes, beta testing etc etc and where would that leave the coders then?

This is a two way process and not a one way one.

Mithrandir

It was not intended to kick anyone and it was not a "make it yourself you lazy punk" comment.
My comment was to response from Carnuke that highlighted the fact that a lot of people want this. I am simply amazed that so many people want this but everyone expects someone else to make it.

I also fear that when someone sits down to make this, he/she will be at a loss as to WHAT to make. "Dynamic profiles" is very loosely defined and it could very well be that people are expecting different things.

So instead of saying "I would like this feature.", I would rather have people saying "I would like this feature, I imagine that I should be able to do this and that and then it is administered like this and that"

I never intend to insult or kick people, but we cannot do everything for everybody and if I can get 1 person to look further into it and learning how to contribute, I think it is a success - even if 2 people are offended in the process. That's a sacrifice I am prepared to make (uhhh - Shrek flashback, there )

Login

Who's Online

127 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 127

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits