Jeffdjf
Error in newbb notification
  • 2005/2/4 15:03

• Jeffdjf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/11

Hi,

Just found a problem with the notification and private newbb forums.

If I put a user in a private forum and this user check to receive the notifcations, they will continue to receive the notification if I remove him from the private forum.

I use XOOPS 2.0.9.2. Step to reproduce :

1 - Create a user and a private forum
2 - Put the new user in the private forum
3 - Log in with the new user, go to private forum and check to receive notificatio
4 - Logout this user and login with another user
5 - Post a thread and see that the new user receive the notification well
6 - Remove the user from the private forum
7 - Repost another thread in the private forum and see the user receive the notifications...

There is also another small glitch, when a user is put in a private forum and I erase this user, the entry in bb_forum_access remains. I know, this user_id will never be reused but I think it's better to erase all of that.

Mithrandir
Re: Error in newbb notification

Which version of Newbb? The standard that comes with the full XOOPS package?

The notifications issue is common for all modules, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Jeffdjf
  • 2005/2/4 15:35

• Jeffdjf

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/11

It's the standard XOOPS 2.0.7.3 upgraded to XOOPS 2.0.9.2 with the to_2.0.9.x patch set. In the module administration panel, it say that the version of newbb is 1.

Do you plan on fixing this issue soon? Just to know because if not, I will try to develop a workaround for the newbb module because it's the only module that affect me.

Thank you for the quick answer.

Dave_L
  • 2005/2/4 16:25

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I doubt if there are going to be any official fixes for NewBB 1, since the current released version is 2.02.

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2033

Mithrandir

Well, the issue is not with Newbb, but with removing users from groups and deleting users. Currently there is no way for a module to know when a user is removed from a group or deleted and perform actions following it.

No, we do not have plans to remedy this soon.
Especially the delete-notifications-when-user-is-removed-from-group-IF-he-no-longer-has-privileges, I can imagine will take some hard work

Dave_L
  • 2005/2/4 18:03

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

For a custom addon I wrote for a client, I explicitly checked users' access rights before sending notifications. But it was a little messy to do, and required that I trigger the notification events individually for each user.

Mithrandir

Quote:
required that I trigger the notification events individually for each user.

Why?

$notification_handler =& xoops_gethandler('notification');

$criteria = new CriteriaCompo(new Criteria('not_modid'$xoopsModule->getVar('mid')));
$criteria->add(new Criteria('not_itemid'intval($item_id)));
$criteria->add(new Criteria('not_category, "category_name"));
$criteria->add(new Criteria('
not_event"event_name"));

$notifications $notification_handler->getObjects($criteria);

foreach (
array_keys($notifications) as $i) {

$uids[] = $notifications[$i]->getVar('not_uid');
}

// Perform module-specific checks on each user
// I assume that $safe_uids is an array of users with perms
// resulting from this check

$notification_handler->triggerEvent("category_name"$item_id"event_name"$extra_tags$safe_uids);

Dave_L
  • 2005/2/4 19:09

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Has $safe_uids been there for a while? I did that addon several months ago.

Also, the content of the notification (a digest of posts, possibly from different forums) depended on the user's rights, so that had to be customized for each user. I guess that was the real reason I had to handle the notifications user-by-user.

Mithrandir

I believe the 5th parameter to triggerEvent() has been there as long as I have known the XOOPS notification feature (about 14-18 months, I'd say)

If the content of the email is tailored to the individual user, I agree that you have to notify the users individually - but can't help thinking that the XOOPS mailing system is not strong enough to deal with that on a high-traffic site.

(on a related note: Anybody know of a GOOD solution for having individual mass-mailing? I know of several scripts for sending the SAME email to thousands of users... but what if the content changes depending on user selections?)

tuxinator
  • 2005/3/31 7:39

• tuxinator

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/3/31

Have we decided on how to fix the problem of unpriviledged users receiving notification of privilaged newbb2 forums?

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits