Shine
Xoops 2.9x on windows & chmod 'Red alert' msg.
  • 2005/1/29 9:26

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

For the first time I had to install XOOPS (vs 2.9.2) on a windows server. It gave me some problems which I've never come accross. Some of them I've solved but one big issue remains.

As I understand you cannot chmodt on windowssystem server. This results in keep on getting the 'red alert' message within the admin to chmod the mainfile.php into read.
I've tried to change the rights, but the server won't accept my command.

Within the faq of the webhoster it says:
Windows servers do not recognise the chmod command. That is why you cannot chmod files by FTP into rights like 777 or other. Windows works with NTFS rights which are completely different than chmod.
All your uploaded directories and files are getting standard all the read and write permissions. You can compare this with chmod 777.
Within windows you can secure directories by using the .htacces. Login into your adminpanel (at hoster) click 'Secure Folders' and configure it.

All they are talking about is how securing folders, not individual files.
Because all the files and folders are getting the standard read/write rights (likewise chmod 777). The mainfile.php can be read and written by unsoliced. At least that is what I understand of it and is my conclusion.
How can I secure this important file to get rid of the 'red alert' message?
How secure am I right now? What needs to be done to fix it?
I could really need some help on this.

Server Information:
PHP Version 5.0.3
System Windows NT 5.2 build 3790
Zend Engine v2.0.3
register_globals On
safe_mode Off
display_errors On

Grtz., Shine

jdseymour
Re: Xoops 2.9x on windows & chmod 'Red alert' msg.

If you are not allowed to set the file attributes yourself, I would ask your host to make mainfile.php read only.

Do you have some sort of server control panel with a file management utility, you may be able to change it from there. I am not sure as I don't use a Windows Server.

The mainfile.php is a very important file and needs to be protected fully for security reasons. Read only actually is not enough, should be set so only server can read the file because all of your server settings are in plain text in that file. Not sure on windows how to do that and not break anything. Your host should know though.

jahotchk
Re: Xoops 2.9x on windows & chmod 'Red alert' msg.
  • 2005/1/29 23:05

• jahotchk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/21

I fixed this on my server by right-clicking the mainfile.php and clicking the Read Only checkbox on the properties pages.

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits