GrahamG
Very new beginner
  • 2005/1/26 8:37

• GrahamG

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/24

graham@gjgow1.demon.co.uk

Hi everyone, and thanks for what looks like a great site.

I'm trying this out for the first time on a bit of webspace I've got with a view to learning what XOOPS can do.

I'm sure this will be the first of many postings so please be gentle with me!!

The first prob I've encountered, is the folders permissions, and changing them. There is just no way I can seem to do this for some reason. Can someone help in pointing me in the right direction? I have the necessary stuff installed on the server. One point I'd like to make is, why aren't these folders already writeable in the first place?

Another thing, when I upload the files to the server, I assume the whole set of unzipped files and folders just sit in the top root folder and not in a folder of its own? IE www.xyz.co.uk and NOT www.xyz.co.uk/xoops will bring up the wizard.

Silly beginnersd q's maybe, but help will be appreciated.

Cheers
G

jdseymour
Re: Very new beginner

Hi GrahamG,

For folder permissions, it depends on the operating system of your server. I will assume linux/unix as they are the most popular with hosting companies.

To chmod (unix command for changing permissions) a file is usually done with the FTP program. Connect to you site via FTP, navigate to the folder that you want to change. Select the folder, right click, and choose properties. On the folder properties you will see three sets of checkboxes titled - Owner - Group - World. Depending what is checked in these catagories will change the 3 digit number which is the folder's chmod setting. My suggestion would be just to change the numerical value of CHMOD to what XOOPS or the module is asking for.

Folders on the webserver are not writable by default for security reasons.

As far as uploading goes, you are right in your written assumptions.

For starters familiarize yourself with the FAQ on this site, and a great e-book for getting started "Xoops for Dummies" both links are in my signature.

HTH. And welcome to XOOPS.

GrahamG
Re: Very new beginner
  • 2005/1/26 18:43

• GrahamG

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/24

Thanks JD for that. This may help other users, but I was using an old version 3 of Dreamweaver. On the advice of my hosting company, I downloaded Smart FTP which did the trick and all went extremely wll with the installation.

Now having said that, I'm having probs with the login in stages. I can actually login with two names even though I only have the admin one registered, and even then, there is a prob with login into the admin area.

I'll take a look at the FAQ's etc but any further advice would be great!

Thanks once again.

G

Login

Who's Online

224 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 224

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits