khampster
Forum module isnt working right for most users...
  • 2005/1/21 3:59

• khampster

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/19

hey, i have a forum on my site installed... and i've been getting a couple issues from my members using my site... they are telling me that they cant register on the site or.. some cant post on the site. what seems to be a problem?? let me know.

jdseymour
Re: Forum module isnt working right for most users...

Sounds like cookie problems, have them check their browser and firewall settings to accept cookies from your site.

Mithrandir

Indeed sounds like a HTTP Referer being blocked.

Check out this FAQ on problems posting and registering

carnuke
  • 2005/1/21 9:12

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I completely endorse the answers given here. However, I must confer that on my own site I am also getting several users who cant register and cant post due to cookies and firewall issues. Looking carefully at my logs I see anon users visiting my register page a number of times but still no registration is matched to that page view time. Later I get contact emails complaining about problems registering.

It's easy to blame other third party applications, but that does not help the ordinary user.

Could I suggest the register page be updated with 'help' link or a prepared text to at least give some users a chance. If anyone has done this, please publish the hack, Im sure this would be very helpful to many webhamsters.

jdseymour

Good idea Richard.

I know that I go to a lot of sites that say that cookies must be enabled to access this feature.

stuie200
  • 2005/1/21 12:47

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/4 2

Quote:

carnuke wrote:

Could I suggest the register page be updated with 'help' link or a prepared text to at least give some users a chance. If anyone has done this, please publish the hack, Im sure this would be very helpful to many webhamsters.

Not so much as what you are looking for but I have updated my FAQ with some information about login issues and since I have done this, I have not had one complaint (yet )

See the link below for my FAQ

My Login FAQ

Regards

Stuart

jdseymour

Yeah, I agree that is a good thing to add to your faq. But, the ideal way to handle this is either a text message of a link to help on this issue on the registration page.

Someone new comes to the site, usually, they will either like the content and want to join. Or they won't. I doubt any will automatically read the faq to learn how to join a site.

My site being related to computer security information, have a lot of visitors with cookies disabled.

And I too get a lot of hits on the registration page, but few actual joins.

stuie200
  • 2005/1/21 16:58

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
Yeah, I agree that is a good thing to add to your faq. But, the ideal way to handle this is either a text message of a link to help on this issue on the registration page.

Whoops, I did forget to mention that I have already included a link to the help section from my registration page

jdseymour

How did you get the link on your registration page?

stuie200
  • 2005/1/21 17:51

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

jdseymour wrote:
How did you get the link on your registration page?

Open the register.php file in the root of your installation.

Find the code below which is the bottom few lines of code in this file:

default:
    include 
'header.php';

//OpenTable();

[color=CC0000] echo "If you are experiencing problems registering on this site, please click <a href = 'http://www.yourdomain/modules/xoopsfaq/'>here</a> for further assistance";[/color]
    include 
'include/registerform.php';

$reg_form->display();

//CloseTable();

include 'footer.php';
    break;
}
?>

Add and then insert and change my link which is highlighted in red to where you want it to go to .

Regards

Stuart

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits