kavaXtreme
Selecting Default Theme
  • 2005/1/17 21:51

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

• Since: 2005/1/17

Thank goodness for the noobs forum! So, I'd like to change my theme. As I understand it, I'm supposed to go System>Preferences>General Settings>Default Template Set. Only problem is, it only lets me choose 'default.' I have the other two standard themes installed, which gives me a total of three themes. What am I missing? What do I need to do?

I've searched the site extensively for info on this question, but after finding nothing I finally broke down and came in here.

Thanks in advance,

pdaddict
Re: Selecting Default Theme
  • 2005/1/17 22:13

• pdaddict

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/6 1

System>Preferences>General Settings>Default Theme

carnuke
  • 2005/1/17 23:56

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Hello and welcome to XOOPS forums

I have just entered an FAQ HERE about 'How do I upload and use a new default theme' Seems like this was a basic FAQ that was missing from the list. Many appologies, hope this FAQ helps.

Richard

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/1/18 9:46

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

Hmmm... guess I wasn't so stupid after all. So far that's been the least intuitive thing I've found in Xoops. Perhaps someone with more skill than I can bring it up to par with the rest of XOOPS at some point in the future.

Thanks for the FAQ! Huge help. I was actually quite surprised I hadn't been able to find a FAQ on that.

I am however stuck with one problem. While new themes now show up in the default themes selector, the site still only displays the default theme. So the theme has been changed, but not the visible appearance of the site. I'm still on square one with this, and still needing your help...

carnuke
  • 2005/1/18 9:55

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Glad the FAQ helped and thanks for highlighting our need here.

Try this one ... delete all the files in templates_c folder (you may be looking at cached content) Also delete your browser cache.

I also have the theme switcher made visible to webmasters on a discreet page somewhere. If you have made your new theme slectable also, just select it to display.

Please post back , so that I can update the FAQ completely.

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/1/18 10:42

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

Tried the following steps in the following order.
1. Cleared templates_c. Refreshed. No change.
2. Clear browser cache. Refreshed. No change.
3. Enabled theme switcher. This did change themes as expected. Selected the theme I wanted. Disabled theme switcher. And the theme seems to be showing up fine now.

This seems a rather convoluted process to me. And it seems odd I can't change a theme as admin that I can very easily change as a user.

This whole issue is rather important to me as I approach XOOPS from a designer's perspective.

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/1/18 15:32

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

Grumble, grumble. Turns out the theme wasn't applying system wide, only to the admin account. And yet both the default theme selector and the Template Set Manager show the new template as my default.

Obviously I'm missing something here. Is there a cache somewhere else that needs clearing? Do I need to compile the newly installed themes?

carnuke
  • 2005/1/18 17:28

• carnuke

• Home away from home

Go back to System Admin-->Templates, a tick should be located to the right of the new default template. You may need to click on "Generate" if any of the module files have a "red" generate link.

This is the only suggestion I can think of at the moment.

kavaXtreme
  • 2005/1/19 8:59

• kavaXtreme

• Repository Maintainer

Just thought I'd let you know nothing is working for me yet. The tick is located to the right of the correct template. There are no red Generate links.

I'll keep working on it as I have time. If I come up with something, I'll post here.

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits