kalas
Xoops is being sold under another name (myportal)
  • 2005/1/7 17:47

• kalas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/7 1

Hello everyone.

This is my first thread to this community. I am nearly completing my XOOPS website which I build offline and I am searching for webhosting.

As I was searching, a visited a greek web hosting and webdesign provider called Incredible networks ( www.incredible.com ) which offers, as they say, a customized, created by them, content management system called myportal, which is undoubtedly XOOPS !. They do not mention anything about xoops. It has not (according to their demo) anything that requires even the slightest labor from a programmer, they have not implemented something out of the box, it is not customized to a degree that does not resemple to xoops, but they still selling it.

Is this legal? I don’t like the people who are selling things that are already offered free, under some terms and conditions, to everyone.

This is the page with the “features of myportalhttp://www.incredible.com/portal.phtml and here is their demo for their “powerful CMS”http://portal.incredible.com/

Mithrandir
Re: Xoops is being sold under another name (myportal)

Thanks - are you able to translate their License Policy?

Mithrandir

btw. they do mention XOOPS in their "script library 4" whereas I did not find "myportal" anywhere on www.incredible.com (Might have missed it, though)

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/7 18:01

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

hehe
very amazing but really pitty.
they dont change at least favicon.
http://portal.incredible.com/favicon.ico
mith ,
what do you do now about this case?

mweaver
  • 2005/1/7 18:08

• mweaver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/26

Thought this was funny. I did a Greek -> English translation of their "License Information" page at http:/babelfish.altavista.com:

Quote:
Deadline in order to they deposit Monday they asked and they received from the public prosecutors Spyros Moyzakj'ti and Athina Ceodwropoy'loy the olympic champions Kostas Kente'ris and Katerina Ca'noy that was called again in the Ejsaggelj'a with the attribute of suspect for the perpetration of offences of parakw'lysis of control nto'pjngk and false accusation. According to statements of their lawyer Mjha'li Dimitrako'poyloy, the category that is searched for the two athletes stojhejocetej'taj and is legally e'wli. As reported the known lawyer, men parakw'lysi of control nto'pjngk is disciplinary and no penal offence, which cannot be attributed kacw's the two athletes did not avoid the control nto'pjngk. Regarding the offence of false accusation according to the Mjha'li Dimitrako'poylo, it can stojhejoceticej' when it is reported in statement front beginning. As said the lawyer, the athletes are checked because they falsely declared according to the public prosecutors that fell victims of road accident. In the particular case however, as reported the Mjha'lis Dimitrako'poylos, the statement of athletes became in the hospital, which does not constitute beginning, while for the affair it held control selfly appointed Road accidents. Finally, with regard to the doctors of KAT that by the public prosecutors are checked for the perpetration of offence of false medical opinion, the Mjha'lis Dimitrako'poylos it reported that it cannot synwmo'tisan all these the persons and it stressed that the doctors made simply their duty. The Katerina Ca'noy in her statements reported that she has the love of world, that she has selected the street of silence and she stressed that exist various publications of Press that report the truth for what it happened. Kostas Kente'ris avoided he makes statements, while according to information the two athletes do not intend they present front the public prosecutors Monday, but they deposit via their lawyer memoranda.

It's a story about the greek athletes that were accused of doping, I think.

Mithrandir

Quote:
It's a story about the greek athletes that were accused of doping, I think.

OK, just a place-holder, then.

@irmtfan: I don't know any more than you do, I guess. However, I cannot see evidence of the "charges" brought up by kalas, so judging solely on what I can read on www.incredible.com, all they do is offer to install XOOPS for an extra fee.

http://www.incredible.com/portal.phtml redirects me to index.php, though, so I may miss some information there.

Herko
  • 2005/1/7 18:36

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I don't see anything bad either. It's fully legal to sell services connected to the code, you can even sell the application. They can't put restrictions on it's use tho (other then those agreed upon in the hosting agreement and set nby the GPL license...)

Herko

irmtfan
  • 2005/1/7 19:14

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

sorry for silly question but is this legal to write "Powered by " something else than XOOPS ?

Mithrandir

It is fully legal to write powered by Santa Claus if you want

As long as you don't remove the credits in the code you can use XOOPS for anything you want.

kalas
  • 2005/1/7 20:55

• kalas

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/7 1

Hello again

License information and Privacy Policy points to articles, and you already found out that the license information article is about the Greek athletes, which were having problems with the anti doping control during the Olympic Game of Athens.

According to their site, this CMS is constructed by them, and I am more than sure that their services are not limited to the installation of the CMS, but they must include also the “buying” of the application by the clients.

Tomorrow I will try to contact them in order to find how much they sell their super duper application. If they say that myportal is their creation and they do not mention that it is XOOPS I will not terminate our communication without pointing to them that this is wrong.

At this point I would like to ask the developers if someone is capable to change all the logos of XOOPS and then sell it as his project. I am not referring to any installation or customization services. This is the case here.

One of the developers already told us that someone can change the powered by statement, so it is ok with me.

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits