Jeff_Mash
Quick Help on Weird Layout problem
  • 2004/12/29 22:54

• Jeff_Mash

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/29

Hey guys....

Here's the quick rundown. Our site has been running GREAT on XOOPS for almost a year.

We just tried to install some software called ServerMask which masks the HTTP headers on each webpage for security reasons. Anyway, as soon as we installed it, our site's layout looked off.

Our site: http://www.MyJokeMail.com

Here's the thing though...it only seems to appear messed up in IE. In Firefox, it looks fine.

I have since uninstalled that software but the page looks the same. I deleted the XOOPS cache folder, as well as my temporary internet files on the client side. Still nothing.

I am also running Turck MMCache and I cleared that directory, thinking that was holding onto something, but still nothing works.

Any ideas?

We're running IIS 6.0.

carnuke
Re: Quick Help on Weird Layout problem
  • 2004/12/29 23:00

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Just checked, it looks like a theme problem... that is, the RHS has wide blank edge to the page, while the header spans 100% Is it meant to be fixed width? All appears functional otherwise.

Jeff_Mash
  • 2004/12/29 23:19

• Jeff_Mash

• Just popping in

Carnuke....

No, nothing is meant to be a fixed size. And I never messed with any of the theme files, so I don't know why they would be the culprit.

I think I will work on this a bit later tonight when my server isn't so busy with network traffic. I have a sneaking suspicion that something got messed up and then cached. Do you think that is a possibility?

I just put in some test_theme.html file, and refreshed my page, but my old layout still loaded for some reason. This is what leads me to believe that it may have something to do with a messed up file that got cached at the same time we were installing this ServerMask program that purposely messes with the HTTP Headers of all webpage files.

GRRRR.....I am so frustrated right now.

By the way, you can SEE my theme.html template by going here: Our Theme Template

Not sure if that helps you any.

Jeff_Mash
  • 2004/12/30 2:09

• Jeff_Mash

• Just popping in

By the way, I don't know if this is a further clue into the problem, but when I go into the Admin panel -> Blocks, and then try to 'Preview' an existing block, nothing pops up anymore. I do not have any popup blockers on my system, and this worked fine before the recent layout problem.

I tried DIFFERENT themes, and they all work fine. However, even if I use the original 'default' theme from the XOOPS installation files, there is still this weird white space gap in between the top header bar and my middle/right content blocks.

Anymore ideas what I may be able to troubleshoot?

I wouldn't even mind starting over with a fresh default theme, but like I said, when I do, there is still that gap.

Help appreciated!

m0nty
  • 2004/12/30 2:27

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

sounds like a padding or spacing issue.. IE treats it as padding = 1 or spacing whatever if those aren't present.. but firefox/mozilla etc treat them as 0.. so make sure u have padding=0 or cellspacing=0.. it could be that.. without seeing the theme files or css i don't think people can help much.. it just sounds like another problem arises for IE's inferior non compliance to standards..

tjnemez
  • 2004/12/30 6:05

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

it is late so i will try to help out tomorrow if you have not corrected the issue.

one thing, you may want to define the fieldset element by adding the following to your style.css:

fieldset {
border: 1px solid #0000ff; /* can customize fieldset for cool effects */
color: #000;
}

this will take the rounded edge off in ie6, but it will look better in firefox. you can make the call.

tjnemez
  • 2004/12/30 6:19

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

which theme are you usung? it appears that you are using the default theme and in the link above to theme.html, (i checked it out) there is some issues that need to be corrected.

Jeff_Mash
  • 2004/12/30 15:19

• Jeff_Mash

• Just popping in

Quote:

tjnemez wrote:
which theme are you usung? it appears that you are using the default theme and in the link above to theme.html, (i checked it out) there is some issues that need to be corrected.

I'm using a modified 'default' theme (basically I edited the default HTML template and left it at that. The only thing I remember doing was moving the order of the blocks around, so that the Center-Right and Center-Left blocks would display before the Center-Center blocks.

Again, though, I don't *think* this is the root of the problem, even though it appears to be. I never touched this layout before the problem started. The layout has been untouched for almost a year.

Like I mentioned above, there is another goofy problem that started happening yesterday too, and it may be related. So perhaps if we solve this one, the layout thing can be more easily diagnosed.

Problem: It appears that when I edit a block now, when I hit the 'Preview' button instead of the submit button, the preview popup window is no longer being displayed. Now what on earth could have caused that to happen?

I think that maybe in some weird way, these two problems are related.

In the meantime, while waiting to hear from you guys, I am creating a whole new XOOPS test site, and redesigning the layout to see if I can reproduce this.

Jeff_Mash
  • 2004/12/30 15:43

• Jeff_Mash

• Just popping in

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I have to chalk this one up to just a weird set of mishappenings that can't be explained.

The problem ended up being an error in one of my blocks. The block consisted of a table....however, within this table, there was an HTML starting comment ().

I have NO IDEA how this happened. I haven't touched nor edited this block in a very long time. However, by coincidence, this problem because apparent when I was doing something else to the server. Therefore, I thought that the two things were related.

My 'Preview' a block button still doesn't pop up a preview, which is a little distressing, but my main layout problem is now solved.

Thanks for all the help guys! You're the best.

- Jeff

Here are my sites, in case you want to check them out:
http://www.MyJokeMail.com - Great Humor Site
http://www.MJMMagic.com - Great Magic Site (with killer demo videos)
http://www.GoofyPoontang.com - The Name speaks for itself!

carnuke
  • 2004/12/30 15:53

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Jeff, glad to hear things are sorted. I've had my own series of WIERD StUfF happening recently. Those of us who follow astrological things in life know that the recent Mercury retrograde has... ummm, some strange influences

Login

Who's Online

357 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 357

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits