Patrickwc
Stand Alone Modules
  • 2004/12/22 2:52

• Patrickwc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/19

I love the functionality and design of the "mylinks" module, although, not being able to import links from other programs is a drawback for me. I would like to see the "mylinks" module evolve into a stand alone link management application with all the functionality of the current "mylinks" module without having to download the XOOPS system. Being a novice at programming and PHP, I don't even know if this is possible, but having the choice to choose to use the entire XOOPS system, or just downloading a single component would be of great benefit to me and I am sure many others as well. I already have a complete site and it would greatly improve my site if I could utilize just the "mylinks" module only without putting the entire system on mySQL server.

m0nty
Re: Stand Alone Modules
  • 2004/12/22 3:01

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

not to seem rude at all, but this is a XOOPS site and mylinks is a XOOPS module.. if you don't want to install XOOPS there are scripts available for standalone sites..

try www.hotscripts.com

jmass
  • 2004/12/22 4:17

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I do not read anything evil about the question.

If you have a site and do not want to put it into Xoops, you can still link to a XOOPS install for the dynamic contect (ie mylinks) you want. You would of course need to have the theme designed to match, but you would need to do so even if it was a standalone system.

Of course once the theme is designed, why not move everything in to Xoops....

Patrickwc
  • 2004/12/22 17:48

• Patrickwc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/19

JMass,

Thank you for your response and understanding that I was not criticizing XOOPS at all, on the contrary, I think the concept is awesome. I am interested in your comment Quote:
Of course once the theme is designed, why not move everything in to Xoops....
Being a novice at XOOPS, how would I achieve transferring the site into XOOPS?

jmass
  • 2004/12/22 18:30

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

The point that a lot of newbies miss is that XOOPS is not a CMS (Content Management System).

Xoops is a framework that provides user authentication, DB access, image management, notification subsystem, and other gerneral groundwork for a web application. The modules are the web applications.

To move your static HTML site into XOOPS you need to select one of the excellent content management modules. These content management modules are how XOOPS can be used as a basic CMS. Other modules fill other needs. XOOPS is the framework for all of these web applications(modules), and provides common authentication, DB access, notification system, etc. for them.

JMorris
  • 2004/12/22 20:47

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

An another option....

Given that you stated that you are a novice at PHP, I'm assuming that you are comfortable with basic PHP code. Through the selective use of php includes and other trickery, you can call only specific protions of a XOOPS site and display them in your own web. I understand where you are coming from. As powerful as XOOPS is, there are times when it's just more than what you need. In those situations, take what you need and hide the rest.

Alternately, you could just use the XOOPS framework only for authentication and the MyLinks module then just wrap all your static HTML with the XOOPS header and footer. Time consuming, yes, but very slick and highly scalable if you do it right.

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits