twitaman
One WYSIWYG to Rule Them All
  • 2004/12/6 18:44

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I would like to add a wysiwyg editor to my site. One that I can use in multiple modules.

Right now, I'm musing FCKeditor with WF-Sections but there are some bugs with that -- namely, it works well on the back-end administrative side of the site but not on the front-end.

I want a wyiwyg editor that is consitent and error free and easy to use. I'd like it to be able to have the ability to upload graphic and pdf files from the users' desktop (this was the reason I chose FCKeditor in the beginning).

Is there any other editor out there that will fulfill my needs and work well with the following modules?:
News 1.21
Forum 1
WF-Sections 2
AMS (thinking about using this mod)

I know there's been a lot of wysiwyg talk on here (almost as much as content management discussions) but I'm just trying to see if there is an obvious choice for me.

Peekay
Re: One WYSIWYG to Rule Them All
  • 2004/12/6 19:56

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

AFAIK, HTMLArea is currently the only cross-platform, cross-browser editor. Works in IE and Firefox on PC and in Firefox on Mac OSX. Don't know if it is available for Xoops. Be nice if it was 'cos the built-in editor baffles me!

There is a module that enables the SPAW wysiwyg editor to be used in any modules with a textarea field.

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27765&forum=7&post_id=120692#forumpost120692

ackbarr
Re: HTMLArea Availability for XOOPS

phppp has created a project to port HTMLArea to XOOPS.

brash
Re: One WYSIWYG to Rule Them All
  • 2004/12/6 22:56

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Isn't Kovi editor by Samuels and co browser independent as well?

twitaman
  • 2004/12/6 22:56

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks for the info. I found this link that gives you the ability to test different wysiwyg editors in Newbbhttps://xoops.org.cn/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1207&lang=english

It's great if anyone else is experiencing the same questions I am.

Out of all the editors I saw there (Spaw, Koivi, and HTMLArea) I'd have to say I liked Koivi the best. That's only because it seemed to have more of the features that I was looking for (including the easy abilty to add symbols). I liked HTMLArea too but when I tried to change a font color the only thing it seemed to do was bring up a color palette. I didn't see imediately how to finalize the color after clicking on it. Spaw just isn't what I'm looking for.

The one thing that none of these editors could do, which FCKeditor can, is upload graphic images from a users' desktop. For what I want to do this is a key element. I was wondering if that could be added to one of the editors but in a way so that you could make it available only to a select group of members to your site? I don't think I want everyone to have the ability to upload images from their desktops.

Anyway, thanks for the info on HTMLArea. If there's any chance of them adding the symbol ability like Koivi or the ability to upload images from a desktop like FCKEditor let me know.

Thanks.

brash
  • 2004/12/6 23:23

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

twitaman wrote:
The one thing that none of these editors could do, which FCKeditor can, is upload graphic images from a users' desktop. For what I want to do this is a key element. I was wondering if that could be added to one of the editors but in a way so that you could make it available only to a select group of members to your site? I don't think I want everyone to have the ability to upload images from their desktops.

Thanks.

I think that is a very good idea. Perhaps you should submit it as a feature request on the dev site for Kovi and HTMLarea?

twitaman
  • 2004/12/7 0:08

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks, I just added the requests to the Developer site for HTMLArea and Koivi.

samuels
  • 2004/12/7 0:29

• samuels

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/30

You can add XOOPS imagemanager support to koivi editor.
If you create categories on XOOPS imagemanager admin, you can control wich groups are allowed to upload images.

Take a look on my testsite:
http://www.forjandoleyendas.com/public/testsite/modules/news/submit.php

Click on this button:
Resized Image

Select a category, and upload or attach a image already uploaded pressing this button. Resized Image

I've included instructions on koivi package to implement imagemanager integration. (just change one template)

twitaman
  • 2004/12/7 1:44

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

Thanks Samuels, that seems to be exactly the sort of thing I am looking for!

The only issue I had was after I uploaded the image from my desktop to my post. When I clicked the preview button my entry seemed to dissapear. Did I do something wrong? Or is there a glitch I do not know about.

Otherwise Koivi might be the wyiwyg editor I've been looking for.

Can it be integrated to News 1.2; WF-Sections 2, and Newbb?

Peekay
  • 2004/12/7 9:23

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Yes, I would be interested in knowing if it can replace the default editor in all modules. I took a brief look this morning and it looks really nice. XOOPS image manager is a great feature that I didn't want to lose by changing WYSIWYG editor and with Koivi I don't have to. Has all the good stuff - tables etc., plus ALT text for images (a *BIG* thankyou for that).

Unfortunately, I clicked the 'toggle format' button and lost the lot, so appreciate this isn't quite finished! When is it likely to be released?

Login

Who's Online

170 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 170

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits