intel352
xphpBBi Requests? (phpBB port to XOOPS)
  • 2004/11/30 23:15

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

I started working once again on a phpBB port to Xoops, and there is a functioning BETA available at DEV.XOOPS.ORG

Anyways, now that I have phpBB functioning as a module within xoops, without any core hacks necessary, I would like to see what *requests* users might have for the module.

If you have a valid request, it is *BEST* to submit this request via the FEATURE TRACKER, so that I can easily keep track of which requests have been met.

This thread, though, is for discussion of the phpbb module, to see what users want, what type of modifications could be implemented, etc, so that if you have a sincere request that seems logical, you can pass it by the rest of us for discussion.

FYI, this port is based on phpBB 2.0.9, so attempts will be made to upgrade the code to the latest 2.0.11 security release. From that point forward, this module will attempt to keep being developed independently of any changes/fixes that phpBB.com develops. The idea is to modify and enhance a stable version of phpBB to the point that XOOPS will have a proven forum system, with everything that you could need, and none of the things that you don't.

Personally, I would like to implement the Quick Reply mod, and support for donations to other users (maybe hook into my xDonations module somehow).

Anyone else have ideas or requests?

Feel free to browse the phpbb.com mod database for existing mods, since those would be the easiest to implement.

I will be open to all types of suggestions, and I'll make every attempt to make each modification *optional* (to turn on/off from the Admin).

I know another popular modification is the Flag Hack, but while such a modification would display flags within phpBB, they would not be visible in any other area of XOOPS without modification, so keep this in mind when you make requests.

There are areas that phpBB should control, and areas that XOOPS should control, try to keep them separate

brash
Re: xphpBBi Requests? (phpBB port to XOOPS)
  • 2004/11/30 23:56

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

No suggestions (yet ), just wanted to say thanks and good luck . One area that springs to mind is what XOOPS blocks are available, but I'll go and have a look for myself .

intel352
  • 2004/12/1 2:12

• intel352

• Module Developer

well, since the port is based on bbpixel's release, it has the bbpixel block with the needed changes to function. so it has latest posts, popular posts, and something else

romieangel
  • 2004/12/1 2:34

• romieangel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/21

GREAT WORK!
This is really cool, perhaps this might be a motivation in forum module community within XOOPS world.
With recent release of newbb 2.0 final preview I was very satisfied of its features, but this might be even better. With all the language packs and add-ons available already, this can bring much more power to the XOOPS itself. Keep up the good work, I don't see any request as of now = )

brash
  • 2004/12/1 2:56

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hmmm... clunk, clunk, boing (sounds of me thinking).

Have you got any details of how this module could be intergrated into others at all? In particular I am thinking about the "link to forum" option of modules like AMS and WF-Section.

Probably something to gain the user confidence factor would be to have conversion scripts to go to and from xphpBBi for NewBB 1&2 and maybe Invision. Starting from scratch is one thing, but I know myself I would be pretty hesitant at seriously considering a module if there was no saftey nets to switch back without any pain after a few weeks/months of use if it didn't turn out.

intel352
  • 2004/12/1 3:45

• intel352

• Module Developer

romie, glad you like it

brash, converters will come by the time it hits 1.0

i'll definitely support newbb1/2, as well as pbboard existing, phpbb standalone, phpbb for nuke, and *maybe* ipb (the good thing is, bbpixel already has some converters i believe, so it wouldn't take much modifying to make 'em useful)

actually, it was newbb2 that motivated me to finally do this port. i'm finally about to go live with some XOOPS sites, and i didn't like the default html structure of newbb2, and i'm bad with html, so changing over all the html templates was a task i wasn't up for. also, there's a couple of administrative features in phpbb that i needed that newbb2 won't have until 2.1

anywho, hopefully now XOOPS will have pretty much whatever a new user might want in the forum world (bbpixel is still giving info on how to setup ipb, and also have info and a port for phpbb, plus our newbb1/2, and the xphpbbi module )

karedokx
  • 2004/12/1 7:38

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

it is really a good news and really support you on this! i believe many others too.

while newbb is good and provide lots of good functionalities, i still love my old phpbb :). i have then used bbpixel x-phpbb. my biggest concern with bbpixel x-phpbb is the hack bbpixel has used, as i'm not a developer, i until now still don't dare enough to upgrade my XOOPS to the latest version, as i'm afraid it will cause some problem with my website (as far as i know, x-phpbb has modified several files in the system directory).

i do hope you made this xphpbbi as a true XOOPS module.

thanks once again.

intel352
  • 2004/12/1 12:23

• intel352

• Module Developer

x-phpbb/pbboard is the reason why i created this project. bbpixel's product is very good, but the hacks make me uncomfortable as well. and what really bothers me, is that i don't know what version XOOPS files were being used for those hacks, so if i had XOOPS 2.0.9 and installed x-phpbb, i would be downgrading some of my XOOPS files.

anywho, a true XOOPS module is the goal. why don't you try it out?

intel352
  • 2004/12/1 19:24

• intel352

• Module Developer

i've decided that i will start downloading and modifying phpbb themes so that they work properly with this module & xoops. many phpbb themes/styles like to take over the page's appearance, so my goal will be to provide a selection of themes that coexist peacefully with xoops

also, they'll serve as an example for users that found a theme elsewhere, and want to modify it to work with their XOOPS theme.

karedokx
  • 2004/12/2 9:19

• karedokx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/1 6

have tried to get it installed in my test machine. however i got the following error message:

Installing Discussion Board

users is a reserved table!

Unable to install xphpbbi. Error(s):

what's wrong?

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits