PatrickW
Why do my changes not show?
  • 2004/10/31 8:47

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/8/29

Hi,

When I change something in the theme.html file (like your company to Fake Inc.) it does not show up on the site. I cleared my cache from both IE and FireFox. Anyone knows why it is not showing? I checked the file on the server and the changes are there.

Greetings,
Patrick

PatrickW
Re:Why do my changes not show?
  • 2004/10/31 10:18

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

Hi,

The strange thing is that I changed the size of the layout and that works just fine. But for example the alt info when you move the mouse on a picture does not show on the site while I did change it.

Greetings,
Patrick

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/31 12:33

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I had this problem a while ago. I was using Dreamweaver, and the FTP client within it. I would connect to my site, open a file, save it, go to the site, and no change.

Ensure you have the "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" turned to 'Yes' in System Admin\Preferences\General Settings. If its set to 'no', then this will be why you are not seeing the changes.

Then, I'd clear the 'templates_c' in the root of your site folder by deleting everything that was in it - its a cache of its own seperate to that on your own PC.

If neither of these two things help, try this...

In my case, eventually (with the help of fellow Xoopers) I discovered that all I was doing was loading, changing and saving a cached version of the file that Dreamweaver had stored itself.

So what I did was this - deleted my locally stored copy of my site from my PC and then downloaded my entire site using 'SmartFTP' (www.smartftp.com - its free to download and very good). This way, I knew that what I had on my computer was exactly the same as what was on the server.

Then, I made any changes I wanted to by simply opening them in DW but from my hard disk and not the server, then saved it and closed it, then accessed the server using SmartFTP, and uploaded it from my own PC using drag and drop. This way, you avoid any caching problems. Always close your files, refresh your directory listings (by pressing F5) to ensure you are looking at the latest copies of everything. Its a good tip!

Good Luck

Ted

Lance_
  • 2004/10/31 12:54

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Just remember,

Whenever you make changes to an HTML file in the theme you need to delete the associated file from /template_c.

Any changes made in the CSS will appear immediately.

Quote:
Ensure you have the "Update module template .html files from themes/your theme/templates directory?" turned to 'Yes' in System Admin\Preferences\General Settings. If its set to 'no', then this will be why you are not seeing the changes.

I've had to still delete my template_c folder even though this setting was at Yes. So deleting the content of Template_c is still the surefire way of doing it.

Cheers

PatrickW
  • 2004/10/31 14:54

• PatrickW

• Just popping in

@tedsmith

Quote:

Yeah! That's it! It's showing now! Thanks a lot! Thanks for helping out to Lance_!

Patrick

Login

Who's Online

232 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 232

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits