ninks
Maximum number of users
  • 2004/10/26 19:58

• ninks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/8 9

I was wondering what the maximum number of users is for xoops, concurrent user capacity and it's level of scalabilaty.

Are any limitations simply CPU / RAM / Bandwidth or is there some other inhibitors that would limit concurrent or maximum users.

Do the number modules you attach affect performance.

Is there a formulae or a method of calculating performance degredation as users increase.

Has any one used this tool with say 1000 concurrent users and a total user base of around 50K plus.

Thanks

tom
Re: Maximum number of users
  • 2004/10/26 21:28

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:
I was wondering what the maximum number of users is for xoops, concurrent user capacity and it's level of scalabilaty.

Are any limitations simply CPU / RAM / Bandwidth or is there some other inhibitors that would limit concurrent or maximum users.

There are now limits set, except by your CPU/RAM/Data transfer.

Xoops it's self has sites with thousands and thousands of users, with no known problems as yet. You may wish to search the XOOPS forums for biggiest user bases, as a simlar question has been asked before many times.

Quote:
Do the number modules you attach affect performance.

Of course it can, the more information you pull from the DB and your users download (This includes images and other data), in theory the slower it can go, again depending on the server you run, I currently have around 30 mondules running on one site and nearly as many on others, with no problems and around 5 sites on the same server again with no problems and with thousands of users. One DB is now over 350MB

I can answer your other questions, thats maybe one for a developer of Xoops.

brash
Re:Maximum number of users
  • 2004/10/26 23:03

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Just reaffirming what Tom has said, I think with 1000 concurrent users you are going to see the limits of your server and/or your avaialble bandwidth before Xoops. With that kind of user count you are probably going to need mulitple T1's to even be able to serve the bandwidth requirements. As for modules, it's not just how many modules you are running, but also which modules you are running. The core modules seem to be all very effcient and highly scalable, but there are some where performance and scalability have not been at the top of the priority list during development. Caching can do a HUGE amount for site performance, but in general I'd advise not to even install a module unless it was absolutely needed, especially when talking about the user numbers you are.

ninks
  • 2004/10/27 1:09

• ninks

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/8 9

Thanks for the great feed back. I was looking at using XOOPS for an enterprise environment as both an internal tool for employees as well as for their customers employees.

So lets make a perfect world assumption. Lets suppose my budget was unlimited and I was running XOOPS on say an IBM S/390 with a terabyte of RAM and gigabit backplane so there is no CPU, RAM, Disk or bandwidth limitations. What size database and number of users / concurrent users could the tool support ? ie is there a maximum connections, indexing or database size limitation .....?

Is there any information available on the breaking points of the tool?

Sorry I am not linux, php or MySQL savy so I really don't know the limitations of the underlying operating systems, middleware applications or the XOOPS code itself.

thanks again for the great support.

brash
  • 2004/10/27 1:50

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I don't think any testing of that scale has not been done, at least not to my knowledge. It would take quite a bit of resources just to simulate the concurrent users, let alone actually the server running Xoops.

I've just completed a performance analysis of 4 of the major article managment modules for Xoops, and scalability of hardware and the amount of content varied greatly depending on the module. The News 1.2.1 module for instance scaled tremendously on both the server hardware and the amount of articles/news items contained in the database. This of course isn't simulating thousands of users all hitting it at the same time, but I think it can be used as a rule of thumb guide to scalability. I should have the results published in the next week or so.

Eugney
  • 2004/10/27 3:53

• Eugney

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/25

I have 3 sites with around 1500 users all together and no probs now my friend has XOOPS with over 7000 and he does not have a prob either

Login

Who's Online

244 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 244

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits