rickh
xoops site delaying when visiting it first time
  • 2004/10/26 9:43

• rickh

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/9 6

Hi, i have a strange problem. I'm now testing my XOOPS site, so no one else is visiting it.

When I visit my site the first time, it takes about 5 seconds before the first page is shown in my browser (opening page... in status bar of browser). A kind of lag. After that delay everything runs fine and the site is very fast. Also when I visit my page again within a couple of minutes it appears very quickly in my browser. Also on other computers it's working good. But... when I wait for a time (i.e. 15 minutes) and visit my site again I have that delay of 5 seconds before the first page appears.

In short: when people visiting the site it's going fast for everyone. But if no one is visiting it, the first page opens with a delay.

VideoDude
Re: xoops site delaying when visiting it first time
  • 2004/10/26 10:36

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

I don't know if this is helpful, but I was experiencing a similar delay. The problem, I discovered, was related to a module I had installed whose content appeared in a block on my main page. The block retrieved a feed from another site. It appeared that my main page wouldn't load until the syndicated information had been retrieved. This would take 4 or 5 seconds.

After I removed the block (snx_weather), the page loading time reduced significantly.

Mithrandir
Re: xoops site delaying when visiting it first time

Yes, it sounds like it has something to do with some caching going on for the first page load, which is then retrieved from cache in the following page loads until it is time for a re-caching.

rickh
Re:xoops site delaying when visiting it first time
  • 2004/10/26 10:50

• rickh

• Just popping in

but it seems like there's nothing loaded from an external source... no RSS feeds or images etc. And the situation is that it delays the first time on _any_ computer. When you open the site then on another computer on another location the site loads very quickly the first time (no delay then). The delay only appears when the page is for first time requested from the server in 5-10 minutes. So I don't think it has to do with caching things locally.

I'm using the following modules:

- news
- articles
- tinyevent
- 2 duplicatable tinycontents
- my album P
- myguestbook
- mylinks
- xoopsfaq
- xoopsmembers
- xoopspartners

also banners turned on and sessions to stay logged in.

Mithrandir

Quote:
I don't think it has to do with caching things locally.

I don't either. I meant server-side caching.

rickh
  • 2004/10/26 11:10

• rickh

• Just popping in

Are there some standard things I can check? Module caching is already turned off.

ackbarr

Try going to the Web Page Analyzer to see what their recommendations are:

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

DonXoop

Is this a local or hosted server and what are the specs (OS, server versions, apps etc.)?
Assuming that there isn't any external content being loaded it sounds like something has to wake up after an idle period. Harddisk, server threads, screensaver, etc.
need more data.....

iHackCode

I turned off my site and turned on debug mode (mysql/block debug). and found

that 'xoops_lastseen' Table is missing

Help Would Be Good.

---

Woops It Was That Membership Module

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits