cookie
Installed app versus a module?
  • 2004/10/25 17:11

• cookie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/25

Hello,

I already have a site running. I have polling software, PHPAds New, and a custom applet.

I'm strongly considering installing Xoops. I am wondering if this is going to make me throw away the work that I've alrady done.

For example. I already have the PHPAds New software running, and configured with live ads.

I saw that there is a module for PHPAds New. I've downloaded it, but I was wondering if I have to uninstall my PHPAds New install and install XOOPS and the module for it, or if I can install Xoops, and somehow configure my install as a module??

Thanks in advance for your help?

VideoDude
Re: Installed app versus a module?
  • 2004/10/25 17:34

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

I've been studying up on phpAdsNew and have installed it on my site (but haven't made it active yet). I suspect that bringing your current db into a xoops-db environment should be quite easy.

From the reading I've done, however, you should be able to keep your existing data in place (along with whatever existing administrative and user interfaces you have running) and simply publish ads from phpAdsNew into zones you've created for it. I'm probably not making much sense here.

If you convert over to XOOPS as the primary content management system for your site, you should be able to use your existing phpAdsNew configuration and publish ads from it onto your new XOOPS pages without much of a problem.

cookie
converting existing phpads new to module?
  • 2004/10/27 16:33

• cookie

• Just popping in

Your post makes perfect sense.

Maybe I need to clarify the question.

I already have PHPAds New installed and running on a site that does NOT have XOOPS installed yet.

I am wondering what would be the benefit of running PHPAds New as a module versus what is already there?

VideoDude
Re: converting existing phpads new to module?
  • 2004/10/30 11:16

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

I can't think of many advantages. The only thing the module install seems to do is:
1) adds phpAdsNew as a selection in your administration area (basically just a link to phpAdsNew's administration area)
2) adds the appropriate tables to your XOOPS data base.

So I guess from a backup perspective, it may be convenient to have the tables all stored in the same database... but that's about the only advantage I can think of.

Hey, keep in touch if you do end up installing XOOPS and if you want to exchange ideas about how best to display ads in XOOPS using phpAdsNew.

cookie
Re:Installed app versus a module?
  • 2004/11/9 9:17

• cookie

• Just popping in

I did install XOOPS and have been playing around with it for about 3 days trying to get everything configured the way I want it.

I'm now ready to install the phpAdsNew. I'm assuming from your post above that it will copy the necessary tables to my XOOPS database, and that I can delete the old phpAdsNew database after the install is complete and I've tested out usage (and the fact that the tables are actually in the XOOPS database).

Is this correct, or am I reading it wrong.

VideoDude
Re: Installed app versus a module?
  • 2004/11/9 12:26

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

That's correct. When you install phpAdsNew as a module for XOOPS it will create the necessary tables directly within your XOOPS database. What it won't do is copy any existing data you already have into the newly created tables. If you have data you want to transfer, you'll need to do this manually.

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits