MentalMuscle
Blank Page After New Installation

I know this is all over the forums cause I've been all over the forums here and on other sites, and I really tried to avoid posting a request for assistance, but at this point I'm stumped.

Let me give a little background of what I've got going on. First off I loaded PHP 5.0.2 (in haste), MySQL 4.021, and XOOPS 2.0.7.3 on a Win 2K3 box, and configured IIS as the web server. As is documented throughout the forums this was met with a host of problems. I resolved one thing after another until I got down to an Access Violation error on XOOPS 2.0.8 when trying to install the NewBB and News module (I couldn't find anything regarding my specific error, and tried several things to resolve it).

So yesterday I wiped out my c:\php directory, loaded PHP 4, reconfigured IIS for the appropriate DLL, reinstalled MySQL, and reinstalled XOOPS 2.0.7.3. I know I took some unnecessary steps, but I justed wanted to have a fresh start with this. Everything went smoothly through the XOOPS install, and tested successfully up to that point (phpinfo, and phpMyAdmin), but now all I get is a blank page.

I've turned debugging on in the php.ini file, modified the common.php file, and enabled debugging in the database, but all I get is bland looking white page. No errors, no nada. I can however generate errors in many ways, and they do get displayed. I've also checked the IIS error log, but it doesn't provide any insight into what is going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions beside putting my webserver out of it's misery? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Lance_
Re:Blank Page After New Installation
  • 2004/10/13 19:45

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

First thing to always check is that the /template_c folder is writable. Not set to read-only in windows.

After that someone better may have answers. lol

MentalMuscle

It is, but just to make sure I checked it agian . Isn't that for installing and upgrading through? The security on my root directory and its contents atm are a little to relaxed for my taste, but at least we can rule that out.

tripmon
  • 2004/10/13 20:36

• tripmon

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/2/28

try deleting entire contents of templates_c

MentalMuscle

No luck , but keep the suggestions coming. I could've missed something in my researching of this problem (although I did a LOT of researching).

Does XOOPS load anything to the system directory that I should've deleted before re-installing, or leave trace files elsewhere and/or registry entries I could've missed after removing it? I'm new to Xoops, but from what I can tell this is not the case. I'm just grabbing at any possibilities at this point.

tripmon
  • 2004/10/13 20:59

• tripmon

• Module Developer

OK, gonna try...
Pardon any redundancy I want a baseline...

So, you have a COMPLETELY BLANK page:

and you have no php error messages...

I don't think it's IIS related, BTW.
It could be permissions though...
assuming you have a handle on that.

And you deleted EVERYTHING in templates_c?

Re-up the (orig)common.php that you edited, a single syntax error can huck it all up...

Another thing, if you delete the templates_c and try to browse to the root, XOOPS should create new files in templates_c. Is this happening, and what gets created there?

I see you mentioned enabled debugging in the db... did you mean this (below)?
if so what PHP errors are being thrown.

try this:
If you can not log in to XOOPS set debug options, you can set it in your database:

Setting XOOPS debug in the database:
In any dB access tool (phpMyAdmin, etc.) open the table: [xoops_config]

In Column [conf_name] find the row:
[debug_mode]

Set the [conf_value] in the [debug_mode] row to one of the numeric values below:
0 No debugging
1 PHP debug
2 MySql/Blocks debug
3 Smarty Templates Debug.

Try PHP debug first... that may generate more info to go on.

tedsmith
  • 2004/10/13 21:13

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I wish I could give you a definitive answer to this, but I'm afraid there are so many things that may have caused it. There are probably hundreds of posts about it on this site and you'll probably just have to perservere and work your way through the ones relating to new installs. There are many, and the answer WILL be in amongst them - you just have to find it!

That said, I run an Intranet site on Windows Server 2003 and I had major problems too. If you like I can e-mail a document I wrote for my work colleagues in the event that I ever left or whatever - that may give you some pointers - you may not have taken one very small but very significant step.

It could be a setting in your php.ini file, you may have forgotton to re-start the Web Publishing Service after making a change. Have the user accounts IUSR[MACHINENAME] and the IIS Guest user account got access to c:\php AND the web root folder itself - they have to have it for both? These are crucial in W2K&3. Have you enabled cookies (Xoops is heavily reliant on cookies)? Are you behind a firewall? If so, try turning it off. If that works then it will be because of the HTTP_REFERRER function (do a search for HTTP_REFERRER to get the answer for this - you can disable it by making it always true) or tweak your firewall setting to allow web redirection for your website.

I'd bet money on it being a permission issue of some kind though. Looking at your set-up, may I suggest you visit www.iis-resources.com for some expert advice on XOOPS & IIS combinations. Between them and Xoopers that's how I got mine running at work.

Let me know if you'd like me to e-mail you the Word document.

Good luck!

Ted

MentalMuscle

Yes, the page is totally blank, and no php errors are displayed unless I go into a file a modify something to cause one to get thrown. By itself, completely set up correctly, no erros are displayed.

I did delete everything from the templates_c directory, and upon accessing the page all files were writen back to the directory.

The common.php file has been reloaded.

This required value to turn on debugging via the database is set to 0.

No errors to go on .

tripmon
  • 2004/10/13 21:33

• tripmon

• Module Developer

set the value in the db to :

and post any errors back.

The default setting of 0 causes XOOPS to supress error reporting.

MentalMuscle

I've had a gander at www.iis_resources.com. Looks like a good resource to have for IIS users.

My phpMyAdmin site runs flawless, and both site are configured with the same permissions atm. All sites in my root directory inheret their permission from the root directory. I have set the value for http_referer request to true, but no luck. However, I'll move this server outside my firewall and see what happens.

DOH!!! That's what I get for staring at these configs for so long. However, I do have PHP debugging enbabled via the php.ini and common.php file, and am able to generate visible errors at will. Just nothing comes up when I correct whatever change I made.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anything this helps me to solidify that I'm not losing it, and have been following sound troubleshooting steps.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits