pubhead
Zaja_Blue theme problem
  • 2004/9/16 11:41

• pubhead

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/16

Greetings,

I've recently installed XOOPS, and wanted to change the look and feel of the site. So I uploaded the Zaja_Blue theme fromhttp://www.7dana.com. Before I did this, I read the XOOPS for dummies doc (http://www.macambridge.com/dummies/main.htm), read the XOOPS.org documentation, and looked through the forums for tips. I thought I was doing everything right, and thought I had a grip on the difference between themes and templates. So, after uploading the theme, changing it to the default in the admin > general preferences page, and reloading my site, I was not surprised that it didn't work out as I imagined. The main page, user and main menu etc looks fine. But the other modules/blocks (news, headlines, comments etc) are all over the place. See for yourself here:
GMT XOOPS

I've been thinking about this, and have come to the conclusion that the 7Dana theme ONLY affects the main template, and not the block templates (call me slow or stupid.. ). What I am looking for is a simple explanation of what I need to do to get the Zaja_Blue theme to "skin" the rest of the site. Any takers?

JMorris
Re: Zaja_Blue theme problem
  • 2004/9/16 12:00

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Welcome to Xoops!

If you're refering to the right side block moving to the left, this would be due to the fact that the center column of that themee is fluid [not fixed width]. The default XOOPS theme does the same thing in IE. If you add simple center-center block [a welcome message works well], you should find that everything lines up correctly again. Many themes employ this coding style. Usually, adding content fixes the problem.

For instance, when I go tohttp://gmtpluszero.com/xoops/user.php, everything is lined up perfectly.

Templates are usually only altered on the backend of your site. To use a different template set you would need to upload a .tar file through the admin control panel. If I remember correctly, none of 7Danas free themes have a template set with theme. Unless you cloned and altered your default template set, the templates would not be affected. Themes are merely partially completed HTML documents that contain some php code that calls up content from the database. If there's no content to be called up, the theme sometimes breaks, just like a static website's code might.

Hope I'm on the right track here.

Good luck!

JMorris

pubhead
  • 2004/9/16 12:14

• pubhead

• Just popping in

Hi JMorris,

Thanks for the reply. It actually looks better right now than it did, after I played with the content/blocks. But when i had the recent news block center_right it was all messed up.

I will play with the content to see what I can come up with. The thing that does seem strange is that the style sheet from 7dana only seems to be partially working. For example, the a:hover class works on the user and main menu blocks, but not on any of the center or right blocks. And the text size/color/font is different. I did notice that there are a few more files in the default theme folder than in the Zaja_Blue folder:

theme_blockcenter_c.html
theme_blockleft.html etc

but those files don't seem to have any "formatting" tags in them.

SevenD
  • 2004/9/16 14:55

• SevenD

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/7/23

Hi pubhead,
Quote:
I did notice that there are a few more files in the default theme folder than in the Zaja_Blue folder:
theme_blockcenter_c.html
theme_blockleft.html etc

theme_blockcenter_c.html and theme_blockleft.html is included in theme.html.

Quote:
the a:hover class works on the user and main menu blocks, but not on any of the center or right blocks.

contrarily..."a:hover" class works on entire skin, on the user and main menu blocks works separate class: "td#mainmenu a:hover" and "td#usermenu a:hover".

Your site is warped because you don't have any content, just add some content and you will see big difference.

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/16 16:47

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I also use a design by Dana7 (Zaja-System). The posts above are correct, but to help a little further (perhaps), try to change the width values on line 15 of style.css (and the other two css files). By default they are 765px I think. I changed mine to 1200 which is much better I think and should suit most users screen resolutions. However, before you doing that, you have to change the width of the main table in theme.html. If you want, look at my site before making any changes of your own.

table#okvir
{
background-color: #FFFFFF;
width: 1200px;
border: 0px solid #ffffff;
}

Good luck!

pubhead
  • 2004/9/16 16:58

• pubhead

• Just popping in

Hi SevenD. Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
theme_blockcenter_c.html and theme_blockleft.html is included in theme.html.

Thanks for that - that helps explain one thing.

Quote:
contrarily..."a:hover" class works on entire skin, on the user and main menu blocks works separate class: "td#mainmenu a:hover" and "td#usermenu a:hover".

Yes, thanks. I see that now. But I used two bad examples (user and main menu). I should have used "Recent News" and "Top Links" as examples. The font size and hover colour looks like it is coming from the default style sheet, but the background and other style elements are correct. I would have thought that (for example) the a:hover class for would be the same as for all of the blocks if it works on the entire skin, as mentioned above.

I guess my question is this: where do the rest of the blocks (other than main menu and user menu) get their style formatting from?

SevenD
  • 2004/9/16 17:02

• SevenD

• Not too shy to talk

Tedsmith, try to change 1200px with 95%, this is better option for visitors with smaller screen.

btw. i like your site...congratulations, here is my site about Bedlington Terriers: www.mojpas.com

pubhead
  • 2004/9/16 17:03

• pubhead

• Just popping in

thanks ted,

hey, great site btw, and a good cause.

I think things will definitely fit better if I change the width of the centre block. Good idea. I wouldn't have probably thought of that

I love XOOPs so far, but getting my head around this template/theme thing has been hard, since I am new to this stuff and have only had XOOPS installed for 1 day. I appreciate the patience!

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/16 17:13

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

As much as I'd like to take the credit for the idea, it was only because I had the same problem myself some time back, and another kind Xooper told me how to do it - such is the community. That's how it works - you join, you struggle for a while, you ask for help and get it, then you give help back yourself when you know what you're doing.

"Those that give receive so much more"

I still struggle a bit with the whole template\theme issue. Don't worry. You'll get there!

I hope you enjoy XOOPS - its great and allows you so much flexibility. Good luck with your site.

SevenD - nice site. Good to see XOOPS is used for our four legged friends so often. I've seen several now. Feel free to post at my site - I need to gain user confidence !

Ted

SevenD
  • 2004/9/16 18:01

• SevenD

• Not too shy to talk

pubhead, links style is identical for entire skin..with the exception of article head/title, user/main menu and footer/header.
Quote:
where do the rest of the blocks (other than main menu and user menu) get their style formatting from

Open style.css and find all selectors who containing "block" word in the name.

Login

Who's Online

117 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 117

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits