falke
What modules do I use for this purpose? Giving up on Xoops
  • 2004/9/11 17:41

• falke

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/25

I am beginning to give up on XOOPS even if I really love the userbase and the product.... something important is missing....

I have been checking out all thinkable modules for the purpose below:

1. I would like to have, lets say 4 categories
for example Ogg Vorbis, My music, Cats and VST plugs

2. I would like these categories to show up in a menu (maybe the main menu to the left.

3. If a user selects a categorie the relevant articles should be listed and the 5 (or so) latest article are shown in full

4. when a anonymous user comes to the page the latest articles (not depending on category are shown on the middle of the page (if they are selected to be viewed by anonymous users).

Is this possible.... how do I do it? So I am aiming at a workflow that when i write a new article I just select categorie and if it should be shown to anonymous users or not..

I have tried all the document modules out there and I am beginning to look at Mambo or something else because I cant get the idea above to work in Xoops. TinyD is OK but will only show up 1 article in full. WF-section is very complecated to understand without any documentation. Soapbox has lots av other faults..... how do I make categories and show them in the menu? and so on.....

I think this is possible with WF-sections.... but I just dont get it how to do it.

sbkiller
Re: What modules do I use for this purpose? Giving up on Xoops
  • 2004/9/11 17:54

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

Try to use Wiwimod.

This XOOPS can fully customize to your preferences, you need to take a long time for trials and errors and then once you get it you can do everything you want.

Like me, I worked on it for one week only testing and finding modules. Once I found it, every module I hack it and tweak it to my preferences.

You can visit my site click the image below and you can see some of the Module are slightly different from the oringinal one. I succeed because I never give up on anything.

Also try multimenu module.

Resized Image
Coming Up: Advance Themes for XOOPS @ MaxMZone.com
- Fully finished themes
- Advance features intergrated
- Web icons set (optional)

Kev
Webmaster/Designer

intel352
  • 2004/9/11 21:05

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

have you tried wfcontent or whatever it's called? i like it over sections

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/11 21:33

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I have to fully agree with sbkiller Quote:
...you need to take a long time for trials and errors and then once you get it you can do everything you want.

The issues you have stumbled upon, is one, which is just being resolved. It is that of a chaotic module development. With the opening ofhttp://dev.xoops.org/ and the soon to openhttp://modules.xoops.org/, this will be resolved, but will still take some time.

Never the less I believe for your primary problem, there is a solution. Please take a look at ArMS. There it says:
Quote:

Description:
ArMS (Article Management System) is XOOPS 2 module for managing multipage articles, tutorijals and everything else that has multipage text content.

Key features:

- 4 level data strucure:
-- categories
--- section
---- articles
----- pages
- crossposting (one article in more than one section)
- coauthoring (author of article can add extra permission to other users to help him write and maintain article)
- rating 1 - 5 (in ArMS 0.4 it is option - can be turned off from admin)
- XOOPS comments and search
- articles can be OnHold (article is not finished)
- smart hiding (if category or section is empty it will be hidden)
- blocks

And I can only recommend taking a look at the other suggestion from sbkiller, the Multi Menu module. The might come in handy.

Unfortunatly still in beta, but maybe of this interest is a project from a couple of student over at UC Berkeley, related to the UCberkley_liquid theme, they are creating a module, that Quote:
allows webmasters to easily deploy a site based on tabs and sub-tabs (like apple.com)
, labbeled with the shortform Tab Mod.

Hope this is helpful to you, and might convince you to stay with us

JMorris
  • 2004/9/12 0:05

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

The next stable version of WF-Section has functionality very similar to what you've described. Right now the latest development version is 2.01, but I don't recommend using it in a production environment unless you are familiar with coding and bug fixes. I am beta testing the CVS version of 2.01 and have found it to be an exceptional module that is extremely powerful. I'm eagerly awaiting the final stable release.

For more information, visit WF-Projects

falke
  • 2004/9/12 9:04

• falke

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/25

Thanks all!!! This is what I value the most about XOOPS the very active and friendly userbase. Thaks for all your kind replies.

Some of your ideas are new to me (like for example Wiwimod, ArMS and Tab Mod)

I have been trying to use WF-section and I think there is a lot of promise in it. I am a very experienced coder/developer but have mainly used C and assembler vs. Oracle, Progress, Mimer and other db:s PHP and MySQL are new to me but they seem fairly easy. The problem with WF-section is the lack of any kind of documentation and even a hint on what the developer have in mind using a certain label. The bugs is also a bit annoying.... Last night I change a block of WF-section to make it visible on the frontpage. Te result was a total lost of all my block settings in the left column. Yes, I know its under development and not meant production, but the lack of documentation and stability makes a bit hard to decide if it fulfills my needs.

Multymenu is about the same. It looks promising but it only allows one level, no submenus.... so the thought of shoing my categories is not possible right now. Then there is the stupid labeling inside the modules and..... guess what.... the lack of documentation.

One of my first lessons as a developer was the need for documentation during the whole developing process. That is not something you do when the project is finished.

I think the opening ofhttp://modules.xoops.org/ would be a great step forward but I thing you should ad some requirements about the documentation of modules in the future.

Any more ideas that can help me?

Mithrandir

I don't see anything in the requirements, which is not in News 1.2 apart from the topics being listed in the main menu - which will be a feature in News 1.4, I'm told.

JMorris
  • 2004/9/12 11:50

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

falke,

Have you tried using mypage. It's essentially a blank module that allows you to post static PHP/HTML content in a page. In the xoop_version.php file, you can easily assign sub-menus and point them to wherever you wish. It's extremely simple to duplicate and rename as well. When I've run into situations where I couldn't find any other module that would work for my needs, it was a life saver. I'm not sure if mypage is available on sourceforge, but it's extremely simple to code. You can find more information about it in Xoops for Dummies at the Xoops Documentation Site.

Another module that offers a little more control over your content is Tiny Content Duplicable. You can download that module from sourceforge and there is documentation on it at the XOOPS Documentation Site.

Hope this helps.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/9/12 12:06

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Hi falke,

we would agree with you that the lack of good documentation for WF-Sections does not help users with this very complicated module but we are in the proces of doing this now.

We do know of the issues of WF-Sections, and 2.0.1 is buggy and we appreciate people using it and reporting the problems when using it but we believe we are very close to getting a stable version out.

We ask all those who are using this version to please just wait until this next version and you will notice a big difference and will be stable enough to use =)

We have now started on v3 which will be re-written from scratch, will be OO and use many of the core XOOPS Functions.

intel352
  • 2004/9/12 15:30

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

just a note, wfsections is based off of Sections (i believe?), and was worked on by catzwolf until he passed it on to the current wfsections team. something like that. so that's a bit of a mixed up history for the module, which could be why there's lacking docs (so don't hold it against them TOO much, ehehe)

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 149

aerograf,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!