rossi
MS-Weather LICENSE problem?
  • 2004/9/1 22:32

• rossi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Hi all!

I have mailed the author Sylvain B according to the source about this but no answer... So I'm posting here.

MS-Weather gets its information fromhttp://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/ . Good... but on all these pages rigth after the <HEAD> thee is a comemnt:

<!--
************************** NOTICE ******************************
The data (conditions, forecasts, news, images, logos) contained in this page are copyrighted by Yahoo! Canada Co. and the Weather Channel Enterprises, Inc. You are prohibited from using or repurposing this data in any way without express written consent from Yahoo! Canada Co. and the Weather Channel Enterprises, Inc. If you are looking for a source of weather data, please see the National Weather Service Website athttp://www.nws.noaa.gov/. Their data is public information, to be used with appropriate byline/photo/image credits.
************************** NOTICE ****************************** -->

So in these terms is it license clear to use this module since the information is protected...

Any idea?

ChadK
Re: MS-Weather LICENSE problem?
  • 2004/9/2 12:18

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

It's a copyright violation to use MS-Weather because it uses the data from Yahoo which they protect. It also uses the images downloaded from yahoo which is an obvious copyright issue.

I would suggest you not use MS Weather unless it's converted to use public domain information and it's own images.

I have a nice weather program that I wrote for an ASP CMS a while back.. I will most likely convert that for XOOPS because I also need weather and I need more functionality than is present in MS Weather.

seventhseal

First off, I'd like to let everyone know that I am new to XOOPS community. I am building a XOOPS development site at xoops.ibdeeming.com but to get a feel for the types of mods I have developed, go to www.ibdeeming.com

Now, on with my knowledge. MS Weather, YaHoo Weather, Weather.com, and MSN Weather will all gladly shut you down, if you actually create traffic. The original WeatherMagnet developed for PHPNuke by me, created so much traffic that they shut all sites down running the great mod. Since then, I have developed WeatherHarvest. In conjunction with NOAA (who gladly and happily allow data access), I have created a mod that will get all kinds of great weather data from current conditions to radar.

Now, if the interest was high enough, I could begin translating that to XOOPS. I have created a soprt of project plan on a number of mods I have developed (from real estate mods, to corporate directories, to security mods, etc. etc). The WeatherHarvest mod is large. It has it's own (significant) database tables. In the PHPNuke world, it has become one of the largest and most popular downloads in the last year.

Oh, and at the risk of being long-winded - all of the above mentioned sources eventually rely on NOAA for their accurate data. The reason they don't really want you scrapping their data? Advertisment. If you buy advertisment from these folks, you pay on the number of impressions. Impressions are received by code display. If you are screen scraping, they are getting impression counts without actually displaying the ad. So, in essence, it becomes similar to fraudulant advertising practices...

Well, anyone interested in me doing this sooner than later, let me know. (converting the WeatherHarvest mod from PHPNuke to XOOPS)!

rossi
  • 2004/9/2 18:55

• rossi

• Just popping in

10x all!

Seventhseal, as far as I see NOAA provide information only for USA.

Since I'm interesting in such information for Bulgaria I can't take the advantage of this module.

Cheers!

ChadK
  • 2004/9/2 19:02

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

I would love to see Weather Harvest on Xoops! :)
I think that's the software I'd used for a short time before creating my own.. due to my fairly specific needs.

jmass
  • 2004/9/2 20:26

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Use VL-Weather. It pulls from noaa. It is in use at Eton Academy.

JMass

Kerjin
  • 2004/9/2 21:49

• Kerjin

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/10

Actaully seventhseal, I am the persons that wrote to you, asking for permission to port your wonderful module from php-nuke to xoops. The work on that has begun and is in progress.

snakes
  • 2004/9/15 21:44

• snakes

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/8 0

Do you think weather.com is useable ?
I see some weather tools on Linux using this website.
I don't know if it is good to make a module that use that site.

rossi
  • 2004/9/16 21:15

• rossi

• Just popping in

Quote:

snakes wrote:
Do you think weather.com is useable ?
I see some weather tools on Linux using this website.
I don't know if it is good to make a module that use that site.

There is one Super Karamba's theme called liquid_weather_plus that uses weather.com. I find it verry good and usefull. A lot of nice icons are available, too. But it is all pythonised... So if somebody feels good on python and is willing to rewrite it in php...

Or is there any python2php convertor :)))!

Unfortunately I'm not so familiar with python but it doesn't seem to be a big conceptual difference in these script languages...

Cheers!

snakes
  • 2004/10/1 16:14

• snakes

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/8 0

Here the first version of my Weather.com module: SnX-Weather
Demo on:
http://www.qmel.com/modules/snx_weather/

Download at:
http://www.qmel.com/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=2

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits