haisam
Howto upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7.x?
  • 2004/8/29 23:35

• haisam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/11

What is the procedure to updgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7.x?

I've backed up the DB and the current public_html directory if I copy all of the contents of the new html to public_html XOOPS thinks it a new install and not an upgarde. How shall I procede?

Stormwind
Re: Howto upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7.x?
  • 2004/8/30 5:10

• Stormwind

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/30

Well, I can't pretend to be an expert, but my upgrade from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7 seems to be working just fine.

First print out and make a copy of mainfile.php from the root of your web site. This is the file that sets all of the initial variables for XOOPS when it loads so that it can locate its database and logon. It will contain most of the info you need.

Now I have to admit that I probably did not need to do everything that I did. Make sure that you have backups and that you have taken your site offline for maintainance before you start. Here is what I did:

1) FTP up a copy of XOOPS 2.0.7 to your site and overwrite any of your old 2.0.5 code that was there. Make sure that you also know the password to your MySQL user account that you use to access the XOOPS database because it is hashed in the mainfile.php so that you cannot read it.

I read that you already have a backup of your 2.0.5 site so you should be fine doing this. Worst case scenario is that you need to restore your backup copy.

2) CHMOD mainfile.php to 777 to make it globally writable during the install. You will set it back to read-only later.

3) Go to the root of your web site to start the install process and fill out the prompts as though you are doing a new install. Use the same settings that you had in your old mainfile.php to set up the new system.

4) After a few install pages you will connect to your database and you will get an error that says xoops2 tables already exist. That is fine. The installer will stop there because you have no need to go any farther. The data is already in the tables.

5) CHMOD your mainfile.php back to 444 and delete the install folder from your site.

You may need to update some (or all) of your modules to make sure you have the proper current settings, but I have not gotten that far yet. You will also need to redo any custom mods that you have put in.

Now that I have told you what I did, I will tell you what I suspect I could have doen that would have been easier yet.

1) FTP up the new code.

2) FTP a copy of my old mainfile.php over the one that was just put up with 2.0.7 to recover my old settings.

3) Delete the install folder

4) Refresh modules and redo mods.

I think this would have worked but I did not try it. You can give it a shot though if you want. I can only vouch for the fact that I got XOOPS back up using my original method. I posted this almost as soon as I did it so I do not know what my problems are yet.

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits