• 2004/9/9 19:36

• tklee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

I'm quoting here so you don't have to look for the original post:
Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:
RE: Registration Keys...

I'll make a few comments that might help people see where there are some differences. ....

... [omit] ...

It looks to me that the biggest difference between the two modules, from a sys admin perspective, is that Reg Keys is a tightly integrated system module that makes changes to eight core files in a few different places.

Whereas our Registration Codes module is not a system module, and it makes changes to two core files (/register.php and /include/registerform.php).

So if you want something that doesn't alter your XOOPS installation that much, then ours might be the one to go with. If you want something integrated tightly with the core, Reg Keys is probably better.

It seems that Reg Keys was built originally for 2.0.6RC (according to the readme), and at least one of the files it altered is not actually present in 2.0.7 (/registration.php), so that might complicate upgrading or installing it from scratch in 2.0.7 or higher (though I suspect register.php in 2.0.7 is very similar to registration.php in 2.0.6).

Also, our module has a permission system, with which you can control which groups are allowed to create codes for membership in which other groups (so the webmaster doesn't have to do all the code issuing, you could let people in one of your groups issue codes that allowed new users to have membership in only that same group). I'm not sure if Reg Keys has that feature, but it's not mentioned in the readme.

Thanks for reading! Happy XOOPSING,

--Julian

I've been using Registartion Key from since it's out and have been very happy with that. When I first saw Registartion Codes module, I felt sorry that information wasn't effectly spreaded and people have done duplicated work.

Trying both, I have some comments:

1. module vs. hack

I agree with Julian that Registration Key is easier to install and upgrade. Two core files to deal with only. On the other hand, being a module and a hack might be somewhat confusing for non-technical admins -- what if they uninstall the module without remembering some core files have been changed? May I suggest wrapping those added codes with a condition statement so if the module is not installed, those codes will get skipped?)

2. invitation from group

Registration Keys is admin-only tool so the webmasters have to do everything; Registration Codes provides the "group invitation by group member" function. That's really cool. I also found automatic expiration very useful.

3. random Codes

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Keys are all assigned in Registration Keys, but in Registration Codes you only get system generated random codes. Maybe there can be a button or a javascript for the system to generate one if the user chooses to. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

And, salute to both authors.

tklee
bugs?
  • 2004/9/9 19:55

• tklee

• Just popping in

I turned PHP debug on and got these:

On the module page (called by a user):

Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: asl in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 273
Warning [PHP]: array_reverse(): The argument should be an array in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 273
Warning [PHP]: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 274
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: tempigroupnames in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 339
Notice [PHP]: Undefined offset: 0 in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 339
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: thiscode in file modules/reg_codes/index.php line 126

On module admin page:

Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: grouplist_id in file modules/reg_codes/admin/index.php line 99
Notice [PHP]: Undefined variable: grouplist_name in file modules/reg_codes/admin/index.php line 100

jegelstaff
Re: New Module and Hack: 'Registration Codes' -- for pre-assigning group membership to new users

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
any chance to develope this for registered users.
i want user can subscribe and unsubscribe for a group and approve by admin. this feature is really needed.
thank u

I believe Rossi is working on adding in this kind of feature, but I'm not certain.

We are really busy with some newly launched client sites right now, but we do have plans for some advanced administration module(s) in the near future, and this kind of registered- users-can-join-groups-themselves feature might find its way in there.

--Julian

jegelstaff
Re: bugs?

Quote:

tklee wrote:
I turned PHP debug on and got these:

[snip]

Just notices. They don't affect the operation of the module at all. Thanks,

--Julian

jegelstaff
Re: Registration Codes

Thanks very much for all the comments and kudos tklee.

Here's my thoughts...

Quote:

changed? May I suggest wrapping those added codes with a condition statement so if the module is not installed, those codes will get skipped?)

The user account creation form does check to see if the reg_codes datatable exists (ie: the module is installed) and if it does, then the registration code is asked for. If the table does not exist, then the form does not include the box for registration code.

So if you leave the hacked files in place but remove the module, then the account creation process should be exactly as if the hacked files were not present.

Quote:

Registration Keys is admin-only tool so the webmasters have to do everything; Registration Codes provides the "group invitation by group member" function. That's really cool. I also found automatic expiration very useful.

Thanks!

Quote:

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

Good point. Security is a big concern for our sites, since clients use them for important, confidential business information, so they didn't want guessable or easily crackable codes, that's why they were made random (though only six characters doesn't make them that hard to crack, but anyway, they're not dictionary words).

I agree though, it would be a good addition if you had the option of typing in a word that you wanted to use for your code. Maybe that will go in a future version.

I've found, among other things, that the registration code box is a required field, so there's no point in having the word 'Optional' beside it. So there's a few polish-related things like that which could go in another release.

Thanks one and all for the interest!

--Julian

tklee
  • 2004/9/26 7:53

• tklee

• Just popping in

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:

Quote:

tklee wrote:

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

I've found, among other things, that the registration code box is a required field, so there's no point in having the word 'Optional' beside it. So there's a few polish-related things like that which could go in another release.

Thanks one and all for the interest!

--Julian

Oops, I used the wrong word. When I said "making it optional" I mean "having the option of using custom codes or system random codes".

Anyway, you got my point. And thanks a lot for this great module.

Herko
  • 2004/9/26 9:54

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Julian,

why not submit it as a code submission for the XOOPS 2.0 Core at sf.net? (See the links at the left, under dev resources). We'll evaluate the code and see if it can be made part of the core

Herko

jegelstaff

Thank you Herko! We will see what we can put together.

--Julian

tklee
  • 2004/9/28 6:13

• tklee

• Just popping in

It would be great if that goes to the core. In that case, please also consider adding an option of "Registration Codes required for registration".

webguygary
  • 2004/11/12 23:37

• webguygary

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/8

How do I edit/hack this module (or the regkeys module) for registration sign-up so a new user can select from a group list? I want them to be able to sort themselves into a particular group on sign-up so later I can do custom mailings for each different user group. I have created the various groups in the admin, I just need to know how to get them to appear as a drop-down/select menu on sign-up. Assigning them keys or codes in advance doesn't work for my purposes because I don't know who these folks are beforehand, therefore I need them to select the group they want to be in.

Thanks.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits