jegelstaff
Re: Registration Codes

Thanks very much for all the comments and kudos tklee.

Here's my thoughts...

Quote:

changed? May I suggest wrapping those added codes with a condition statement so if the module is not installed, those codes will get skipped?)

The user account creation form does check to see if the reg_codes datatable exists (ie: the module is installed) and if it does, then the registration code is asked for. If the table does not exist, then the form does not include the box for registration code.

So if you leave the hacked files in place but remove the module, then the account creation process should be exactly as if the hacked files were not present.

Quote:

Registration Keys is admin-only tool so the webmasters have to do everything; Registration Codes provides the "group invitation by group member" function. That's really cool. I also found automatic expiration very useful.

Thanks!

Quote:

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

Good point. Security is a big concern for our sites, since clients use them for important, confidential business information, so they didn't want guessable or easily crackable codes, that's why they were made random (though only six characters doesn't make them that hard to crack, but anyway, they're not dictionary words).

I agree though, it would be a good addition if you had the option of typing in a word that you wanted to use for your code. Maybe that will go in a future version.

I've found, among other things, that the registration code box is a required field, so there's no point in having the word 'Optional' beside it. So there's a few polish-related things like that which could go in another release.

Thanks one and all for the interest!

--Julian

tklee
  • 2004/9/26 7:53

• tklee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

Quote:

jegelstaff wrote:

Quote:

tklee wrote:

About the randomly generated password, I'd suggest it being optional. Making it optional allows us to use meaningful keywords to invite people.

I've found, among other things, that the registration code box is a required field, so there's no point in having the word 'Optional' beside it. So there's a few polish-related things like that which could go in another release.

Thanks one and all for the interest!

--Julian

Oops, I used the wrong word. When I said "making it optional" I mean "having the option of using custom codes or system random codes".

Anyway, you got my point. And thanks a lot for this great module.

Herko
  • 2004/9/26 9:54

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Julian,

why not submit it as a code submission for the XOOPS 2.0 Core at sf.net? (See the links at the left, under dev resources). We'll evaluate the code and see if it can be made part of the core

Herko

jegelstaff

Thank you Herko! We will see what we can put together.

--Julian

tklee
  • 2004/9/28 6:13

• tklee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/18

It would be great if that goes to the core. In that case, please also consider adding an option of "Registration Codes required for registration".

webguygary
  • 2004/11/12 23:37

• webguygary

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/8

How do I edit/hack this module (or the regkeys module) for registration sign-up so a new user can select from a group list? I want them to be able to sort themselves into a particular group on sign-up so later I can do custom mailings for each different user group. I have created the various groups in the admin, I just need to know how to get them to appear as a drop-down/select menu on sign-up. Assigning them keys or codes in advance doesn't work for my purposes because I don't know who these folks are beforehand, therefore I need them to select the group they want to be in.

Thanks.

jegelstaff
  • 2004/11/16 15:10

• jegelstaff

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

That would be several hours of work and can't be easily explained in a forum posting. You will need to put your PHP, mySQL and XOOPS hacking skills to work; you would need to modify the file that contains the registration form, plus the logic that reads the form, plus the module code to provide a way for the admin to specify the list of groups (unless you want to hard code the group list), plus the interface for the admin to do that....

Also...we will be updating this module for 2.0.9 soon.

--Julian

CiberEspia
Re: New Module and Hack:

a great module!!

Peekay
  • 2005/6/27 16:55

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Before I try it, does anyone know if this is O.K. in XOOPS 2.0.10?

BTW, someone reported a problem with the Zip file and I found this too. For some reason you get a set of empty folders when you open the archive. Among these is the 'reg_codes' folder (which contains the module) which is fine.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

jegelstaff

Hello,

I have not tried it in 2.0.10 (we're not using that version on any sites yet). I expect, though, that it should work fine, but might require changes to the register.php and registerform.php files.

If 2.0.10 uses modified versions of those files, as compared to 2.0.7.3, then you would have to replicate the changes in this module's version of those files.

Or, you could take the 2.0.10 versions, and insert the required code specific for this module.

But those extra steps are only necessary if 2.0.10 uses different versions of those files from 2.0.7.3. If it uses the same files, then you can just use this module exactly as explained in the readme and in this discussion forum.

Note that the maker of the Reg Keys module has recently released a new version. You might want to check that out too. Good luck,

--Julian
Technical Architect - Freeform Solutions
Formulize - custom registration forms, ad hoc forms and reports

Login

Who's Online

260 user(s) are online (187 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 259

Mamba,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!