Anonymous
What or where determines right block placement?
  • 2004/8/18 4:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

I am working on creating a css tableless design and It works okay so far except that the right column doesn't seem to be on the right side. For some reason, it falls under center column content and slightly to the left. I suppose this would be fine if I wanted a left only sidebar but I dont.

So, what actually determines right column/block placement?

I don't have a working example as I have been working on this locally.

Thanks for any pointers

Bassman
Re: What or where determines right block placement?
  • 2004/8/18 5:13

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

in the normal theme.html, look for
<td id="rightcolumn">

hsalazar
  • 2004/8/18 5:39

• hsalazar

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/6 1

queentux:

Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail! The building of a tableless design for XOOPS is one of those nice objectives that browsers try to avoid. The most probable reason behind your problem is the inclusion of paddings or margins in your structural DIVs.

The convenient approach to this kind of challenge is to find first an adequate solution to a three column design. I'd recommend Craig Saila's site (www.saila.com), this list with over a thousand tableless sites (http://meryl.net/css/index.php) or the incutio lists (http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts) as good starting points.

Once you have a good layout, that works across the browsers you want to serve, you need to convert it into a XOOPS theme, that is, to include the relevant Smarty variables in the file. This is detail work, but not really hard.

I hope these are good enough pointers.

Cheers.

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/18 20:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:

Bassman wrote:
in the normal theme.html, look for
<td id="rightcolumn">

Been there done that. I think I am going to start over from the beginning using the default theme and change it bit by bit.

hsalazar: Thanks for the links. There is obviously a flaw in my design because I used those tips as the basis for my design. I have stepped away from it for a day and will dive back into the design. [P.S. how is soapbox coming ?]

Anonymous
  • 2004/8/18 21:39

• Anonymous

• Since:

Oh hell! I am responding to my own post...

Well, I figured out my problem. I had a typo in my theme.html

instead of
div id="#rightcolumn"
I had
div=id="#rightcolumn"
Which now explains why sometimes I would see it and sometimes it was all the way downt the bottom of the page.....

Funny how lack of sleep can trick your eyes and mind.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits