McKnight
Deprecated Methods
  • 2004/8/10 19:17

• McKnight

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/10

Hey all, I'm new to XOOPS and I think its a great CMS, much better than others I have tried (PostNuke, PHPNuke, Drupal, Mambo.)

Anyway, I'm developing a module which is like a phone book for xoops. Basically it will store the user's address, phone number, and other pertinent information. This is for a website I am developing privately, however I might eventually release the module publicly on sourceforge.

But I digress. In developing this module, I have been taking a peek at other modules. Nearly all of them use the text sanitizer for database i/o. Good idea to avoid SQL Injections and other nasty bugs. However, many of them use the method makeTboxData4Save(). A peek at the module.textsantitizer.php source tells you that this method is deprecated, but nothing else.

It is good practice to note why a method has been deprecated and what the replacement method(s) is/are in the comments of the deprecated method. I know we all hate to write comments, but the developer already noted the method is deprecated. Why not go the extra mile and add that extra information? I think it would help module development quite a bit. Nobody wants to lag development by using deprecated methods, so readily knowing what to use as a replacement is a big help

Anyway, enough of this long winded post. I'm glad to be developing for xoops, its pretty simple and painless, compared to other CMSs.

Herko
Re: Deprecated Methods
  • 2004/8/10 20:00

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Joining the XOOPS Module Development Forge might be a good idea, as the wiki there is growing and growing with development information.

Good luck with your module!

Herko

Mithrandir
Re: Deprecated Methods

You are absolutely right.

for a short-term fix: Deprecated functions and their counterpart

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits