yellowchimp
where to start

I just need pointing in the right direction!

Have designed a site in html and css. XOOPS has been installed on the server. Now I have no idea of what to do next. I have never ever used a cms before.
Could someone very simply tell me what teh first step to setting up a site is.

Many thanks

ps - I am no computer expert so please no jargon or techy language

fooups
Re: where to start
  • 2004/7/26 10:21

• fooups

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/12

Greetings,

the first things to do according to me is to define all your needs for your website: what kind of informations do you want to present: pictures, texts...
When you know this, you can select which modules you will use, and install them, if they're not in the official package.

Second, you will have to configure your XOOPS (and I suggest yu to read this kind of tutorials, and also, this.

Third, you will have to adapt the XOOPS theme to your current site's theme.

Fourth, you will have to transfer the data contained in your old site into your xoops.

Last, but not least, you will have to make a big party in order to celebrate your new website powered by XOOPS

If you search in the download section, you could find modules for rss-feed, e-commerce, and inserting HTML (some features that you will need, regarding the adresse you gave in your profile)

Happy xoopsing.

yellowchimp

Thanks for yor help.

I need to ask some questions though.

How do I adapt the XOOPS theme to my current sites theme? (What is my current sites theme ??? - is it my stylesheet?)

And how do I transfer the data from my site into my XOOPS site??

fooups
  • 2004/7/26 18:51

• fooups

• Just popping in

I knew it wasn't clear
- theme adaptation: by saying 'your current site theme', I meant the whole apparance of your site (in your profile), including your CSS .
How to adapt it? Well, I'm not a theme designer, so it is difficult for me to help you in this domain, but I would see the documentation given here. Basically, the whole 'apparence' of a XOOPS site is determined by a theme: you could find it in html/themes/name_of_your_theme/theme.html
You can use the CSS you had in your previous site (I guess, please somebody corrects me if I'm wrong), and adaptating the theme.html file in order to look the same way as your previous site (just take a look at the code of this page, it is basically like a HTML page, but it has inside it php code in order to insert 'xoops content' like blocs and so on...)

I spoke of adaptation because I thought you would prefer conserving the same apparence of your website. But you can also just use another theme. You can find plenty of themes here.

-inserting data
well, it depends on what kind of data will be insered. If it is weblinks, you will have to re-enter them by hand in the mylinks module. If it is text (I mean html pages like this one, and given you have sub-folder in which many pages are stored, the easiest way is to use the iContent module (since you just have to upload your sub-folder in the 'pages' folder of iContent, and the module will detect them: you will just have to activate the sub-folders and the pages (very easy to understand when you use the module )
For the shop, there are some shop module (like a port of oscommerce to xoops)

I hope it is easier to understand. If not, just ask

Happy xoopsing

yellowchimp

thank you again

I can't find the iContent module though. I have been searching in downloads/modules. And I typediContent into the search box. No success. Snyone know where it is?

jlm69
  • 2004/7/27 16:37

• jlm69

• Module Developer

• Since: 2002/7/19

Look here for the module and most others.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=41586&package_id=105497

fooups
  • 2004/7/28 6:35

• fooups

• Just popping in

In order to get the latest version of iContent, the best is to go there.

yellowchimp

icontent now installed

I have put my html pages into the inpages and have activated them.
In admin/preferences/general settings I have set the module for the start page to icontents.
I am logged in as a webmaster and webmaster has access rights to everything.
However, when I try to go to my index.php I get the message - "you are not authorized to view this page". If I change the start page module away from icontents I can get into my index.php I do get an index page but it has none of my contents on it

Any ideas???

koertzen
  • 2004/7/28 10:50

• koertzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/22

iContent has special permissions that are handled differently. Rather than accessing all content via group permissions, you also need to grant the group permission to the page itself.

1) Go to the Administration Menu
2) Go to iContent > Pages Administration
3) Navigate to the folder where your pages are
4) Scroll down to the bottom of the admin page where the content pages are listed. There are three box areas there.
5) Under Configurable pages click on the pages you want to update (shift or control-click to edit more than one page)
6) Click on the Configure the pages button.
7) From this page you can change the name of the file, enable/disable comments, enable/disable ratings, and update access rights by group. Note that this is PER PAGE, so you will need to update all of your content. Also note about the "hidden" option: This hides the page from the navigation from the /modules/icontent/index.php main page.

When you create a page in iContent, you are presented with this exact same configuration options page, so it should look familiar.

On one of my sites, we have content that is visible only to certain groups. We have created custom menus to display on the content that we want visible, hide all pages from navigation (except we DO create a few shortcuts for basic content), disable comments, and disable ratings.

We also have some content that is available to the organization's board and staff (each has its own group for permissions). For this content we also created a custom menu that only shows if you are a member of one of these two groups.

This SHOULD help solve the problem you are seeing.

yellowchimp

I have done all of the above. But still if I say in general setting that I want my start page to use module icontent - I get the error message saying I do not have authorization to view page?
Incidentally, this seems to happen if I click any other option than the 'none' option?

Also the content I have added into icontent does not seem to be being controlled by any theme. Should it be?

I made a navigation bar using blocks/add a new block and was hoping that this would cause the content added using icontent to appear in the pages main window. It doesn't - it loads a fresh page and I lose my navigation bar.

Am I doing it all wrong?

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits