khatti
Site Preference Problems
  • 2004/7/26 4:12

• khatti

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/26

Hi All,
I am a TOTAL newb to anything php and XOOPS as well, so please bear with me and don't laugh too hard at my silly newbie questions.

I've installed XOOPS with no problem and have been following the instructions for setting up and configuring my site from the Wiki and XOOPS for Dummies (which is very helpful, BTW).
I deleted the Install folder, made my mainfile.php Read Only, then installed my Modules. All was going well til I wanted to edit my Preferences in the Admin menu (and the Poll as well). I get a text bulleted list (General Settings, User Info Settings, etc) with [Edit] after each one. But when I click on Edit I only get a blank page.

I'm sure I've done something wrong here...but am pretty clueless. Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

khatti

irmtfan
Re: Site Preference Problems
  • 2004/7/26 4:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

first you are not totally newbie to XOOPS
many people dont read these documents ( XOOPS for dummies and wiki )
i dont know what is your problem but u can turn on php debug from database. see wiki:
http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=TroubleshootingBlankPage

khatti
  • 2004/7/26 5:12

• khatti

• Just popping in

Thanks for directing me to that part of the Wiki...I was pretty lost.
I tried turning errors on in PHP...but that didn't seem to make a difference.
Then I tried adding the file ".htaccess" to modules/system, with the suggested line: "php_flag display_errors on".
(.htaccess seemed like a weird filename to me, though)

Anyway, I got an error alright, but am not sure if it is from the problem or that it doesn't like that crazy filename. Said it was an "internal server error".

So think I'll skip to the possible fixes...where is my php.ini? That might be helpful...

Thanks again!
khatti

irmtfan
  • 2004/7/26 5:36

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

i dont know about server errors and php.ini problem.
hope somone else help u.and u alwaya can search forums for qestions
good luck

khatti
  • 2004/7/28 2:56

• khatti

• Just popping in

Well, I'm just stuck. I basically cannot edit anything from the admin menu. I can access Blocks and change those, as well as Modules and Banners. Can access Groups but not edit them...get another dreaded blank page.
Image Manager is a nothing, as is Preferences, which shows up as text on a white page..with [Edit] options that go nowhere...
Smilies seems ok...as is User Ranks...Edit Users is a blank...(editing seems to be a big roadblock).as is Find Users and Mail Users. Comments seems ok...but Templates is weird...cannot view anything in it or change anything.

So that is my continuing sad tale...I'm trying to use the Wiki to figure this out, but a lot of it involves being able to access "Preferences" and that ain't gonna happen...

khatti

koertzen
  • 2004/7/28 11:47

• koertzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/22

Hey Khatti,

I'm just across the water from you in Seattle Glad to see another local user!

First, the .htaccess file is a common file that provides some permissions in linux. It's typically not used within XOOPS for permission purposes though, which is why you don't see other references to it elsewhere. (I have seen a couple of modules that require it, though.)

Are you on a shared server or your own server? If you're on a shared/hosted server, you will not have access to the php.ini file to make any changes, and it's unlikely that your host will make any changes to it even if you request it.

My first suggestion is to recopy (FTP) the entire system module back onto your server. Replace any files when requested. (This is not affecting your database, so no worries.) Once that is complete, update the System module in the Modules directory (the disk icon in the far right).

Once that is done, check to see if you have access to the missing areas again. I suspect that there may have been errors in the installation that prevented these files from all being copied over properly.

khatti
  • 2004/8/4 4:59

• khatti

• Just popping in

Hi!
Thanks for responding and sorry I didn't get back sooner...we drove down to Reno for a little getaway.
I tried recopying files and suddenly couldn't even find the page at all anymore so deleted everything, including the database in hopes of just starting all over again.
No luck. Typing in my URL just bounces me back to where I started. Tried going through the install process over again but now getting a message that I can't connect to the database server...dunno what brought that on. So basically, I'm flummoxed and too tired tonight from driving for two days to care. Will tackle it tomorrow. I have my host's customer service working on this too...but so far they haven't solved anything either.
Perplexed....
khatti

m0nty
  • 2004/8/4 5:13

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

what youshould havedone is copy all of the XOOPS files across, EXCEPT for mainfile.php.

mainfile.php contains you db settings.. and with you copying over it is y u can't connect.

did you make a backup?

khatti
  • 2004/8/4 19:41

• khatti

• Just popping in

OK..I've proabaly really gummed it up now. But was hoping just to be able to totally start from the beginning by deleting everything and reuploading the XOOPS files from the HTML folder---since it apparently didn't upload correctly the first time. I didn't make a back up...but had almost nothing at that point to back up, since it hadn't ever worked right. I even deleted the database...I just wanted to start from the beginning. But when I upload the files (including the Install folder) I still just get bounced back to the page I started from. So it is somehow remembering something, though don't see how.

khatti

khatti
  • 2004/8/4 21:08

• khatti

• Just popping in

ok..finally fixed that and can log into my homepage...now if only the dreaded "Blank Pages" will not reappear we will be set....

khatti

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits