dtauto
integrating xoops and phpbb/newbb logins
  • 2004/7/11 19:19

• dtauto

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/4 0

i hope i'm posting this in the correct forum.

a little history: my website started life as a simple html site with phpbb as its main feature. at work, i'm an asp-head. before i migrated my site to a linux server for budget reasons, i had never touched php in my life. it's been three months and i feel like i've got a pretty good running start with php.

i stumbled onto XOOPS and it's been one of the best things i've done for my site. huge props to the developers and community for making this thing great. it's what sets XOOPS apart from everything else. but when i installed xoops, my phpbb already had special programmed features in it that i can't reproduce with XOOPS newbb. the obvious solution: keep phpbb with my special features and find a way to integrate it into xoops. i've seen examples of this done (i.e. FFDatabase) but in my quest for knowledge, i've been unable to determine how this was done.

i read a post about a week ago in which it was possible to migrate the users of phpbb to XOOPS newbb through the phpbb2newbb hack. works fantastic. i simply went back in to the modules admin and deactivated the newbb module, thus keeping the migration.

however...

a user still must login twice. once for my XOOPS area and once for my phpbb area. i know there's a way to change the sql query statement to join the phpbb and XOOPS login query, thus effectively logging in the user in both areas.

my question is this: where would i put this in xoops? what file handles that particular sql query. and what would be the most efficient sql query to handle this task?

you guys have been great with helping me thus far. i know that at least through google, page ranking is determined based upon crosslinks. i don't have any money to donate for those that help, nor do i expect anyone to expect it in return, but i feel that those who have helped me along my path for greatness should be rewarded in some way. so... for those that hook me up on the tips can choose to let me give them a crosslink in the hopes of upping their google page ranking. i know it's not much, but it's the best i can do for you guys at the moment.

thanks in advance!

Herko
Re: integrating xoops and phpbb/newbb logins
  • 2004/7/11 20:40

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

What about using [url=http://www.bbpixel.com/modules/news/]BBPixel's x-phpBB module? I believe that has the integrated login you need.. (Not sure tho, ask around there, they're the experts on phpBB !)

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/7/11 21:12

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

http://www.bbpixel.com (you forgot the ending url tag, herko)

i'm using phpbb on a clan-site that I admin, it's pretty good. there are some small issues but nothing that would stop the module from working. there should be a script to migrate phpbb standalone to the XOOPS module, but make sure you backup your database, lock down your site (during the migration, so no new data is added), and test, lol...

dtauto
  • 2004/7/11 21:36

• dtauto

• Just popping in

super appreciative, guys. i've been over to those boards before, but i figured i'd check over here before goin' over there just in case.

thanks again!!

dtauto
  • 2004/7/13 17:33

• dtauto

• Just popping in

well, i went over to bbpixel and while they have some good modules, they don't really have what i'm lookin' for. if i knew which file contained the login sql query, i could do a join on the tables between phpbb and xoops, thereby logging in a user in both places at once.

this is sound logic, i just need to know where to start (login sql query file)...

intel352
  • 2004/7/13 17:47

• intel352

• Module Developer

well, the point of bbpixel is the ability to use the phpbb port

why don't you just move to the phpbb XOOPS port, instead of using external?

also, the phpbb port likely didn't change any sql tables, so you could theoretically just copy your existing phpbb tables to the format: xoops_pbb_banlist, xoops_pbb_categories, etc (replace XOOPS with your own table prefix, and pbb is likely different than your current phpbb prefix, so change that current phpbb prefix to pbb)

*that* might work. i would suggest using a fresh phpbb config table though, since some settings shouldn't be enabled under xoops, and the images folder, etc, are already set for you

not sure if you follow what i'm saying, but if you do, it wouldn't be too hard to setup.

anyways, i'm just saying that it's likely better to use the port, since that solves all login issues natively, as well as the user database, etc

dtauto
  • 2004/7/13 19:01

• dtauto

• Just popping in

i already have the port installed so all i would need to do is transfer my data (which bbpixel has the convert script for), but when i viewed the forum through xoops, it treated it just like any other module and made it conform precisely to my XOOPS template. nifty trick, to be sure, but that's not what i want.

if my XOOPS template is 760 in width, with sidebars, then i want my phpbb to be 760 in width, but without sidebars. i don't want to "squeeze" my phpbb into my content area. i want it to look standalone.

i don't know if that made any sense, but i hope it helps.

intel352
  • 2004/7/13 19:29

• intel352

• Module Developer

personally, i can't stand the default way that phpbb appears in xoops. it's set to use the phpbb theme within the XOOPS theme, which makes it look standalone yet smushed, lol...

what we did, was edit the header/footer templates in phpbb, edit our theme, setup the theme where side blocks do *not* appear when the forum is being viewed (so that it can used as much of the screen as necessary), and yet it's setup to use the XOOPS theme and maintain the same appearance.

so, it's integrated, not smushed, and looks fairly smooth imho. for some areas of the phpbb theme that need css structuring, we just added the needed css specifications to the XOOPS theme css file.

if you would like my modified phpbb module, let me know. i upped the phpbb module to support XOOPS 2.0.7 (the 2.0.7 package on bbpixel was added by me ), and then i modified from there.

oh, and for people to still be able to navigate to the site home, we created a center block to sit over the phpbb module, that has links to home, forums, gallery, etc etc (forums is linked, because the same block is used across forums, gallery, and a few other modules that we like to display with 0 side blocks)

i can also show you what modifications were needed for the XOOPS theme.

dtauto
  • 2004/7/13 20:37

• dtauto

• Just popping in

very nice, very nice. the only problem i would see with this in my case is that basically, the only part of my XOOPS theme i want to retain in the forums themselves is the header, or would it be possible to simply use the phpbb themes and so it would never touch XOOPS anyways in that respect?

thank you very much for your help thusfar, by the way.

intel352
  • 2004/7/13 20:45

• intel352

• Module Developer

that's what i'm saying we did. we eliminated the header/footer html in phpbb (except for the needed outer table), removed blocks from displaying beside the module, and so now the XOOPS header/footer shows, but also the same site background, font, etc. is used by phpbb.

of course, you could edit the subsilver template to appear however you want (or use a different template, i assume)

the *only* issue i've found with my modifications so far, is that during the 'redirect to post' screen in phpbb, the blocks show up again. it's weird, i'm not quite sure what's going on there, and haven't debugged that action yet. (i notice that it also doesn't detect my cookie properly either, because i see that when it's showing the blocks, in the user-menu block, it doesn't show the administration menu link, which suggests for some reason, it picks me up as a non-admin)

unusual behavior, i haven't checked to see if it existed in the vanilla xphpbb module.

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits