KenHerman
Special needs - can XOOPS do this?
  • 2004/7/6 14:57

• KenHerman

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/6 1

I am in the dreaded selecting a CMS stage. But, I have special needs that I haven't really seen addressed at all.

Basically what I want is a multi-layered control of users as follows:

* a normal user that can belong to a group
* a group administrator that can manage users in that group (or multiple groups), but can't manage or see users outside their group(s)
* a super administrator that can manage the groups, group administrators, and can assign users to the group administrators.

I hope this makes sense.

My other needs are PHP, MySQL, and IIS support. I know XOOPS can handle this, but I'm not sure about the above needs.

If XOOPS can't handle this, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

chapi
Re: Special needs - can XOOPS do this?
  • 2004/7/6 15:28

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

About XOOPS Requirements you can read this:
http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=XoopsRequirements

Xoops can handle individual groups. Users can belong to that groups. A administrator in XOOPS can control all groups and members. There is no intermediate level for group administrators.

KenHerman
  • 2004/7/6 15:53

• KenHerman

• Just popping in

Sorry to hear that - but this requirement is a must.

Are there any other systems that might be able to handle this senario - like Xaraya, PHP Nuke, ...

Could the XOOPS core be modified to support this feature? Or, any other suggestions on doing this?

I've started coding my own site in PHP and MySQL using Dreamweaver MX, and have a lot of the basics down. But, I'd much prefer to use an open system, where I am not the only programmer.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks again.

jmass
  • 2004/7/6 16:04

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I have no idea about the core modifiation. But I have implemented permissions like you describe at the module level. If you are needing this level of control for a custom module it is doable. If it is for user admin or general XOOPS use... I don't think so.

JMass

KenHerman
  • 2004/7/6 18:02

• KenHerman

• Just popping in

I probably could get away with just that level of control from a custom module standpoint. I don't think I'll need that level of control at all modules (but it would be nice).

The general idea of the site would be that everyone belongs to the site and would have access to the general modules (chat forum, rss, etc..) - but everyone would also belong to a group, which is controlled by group admin - who is in turn controlled by the site admin.

Could you provide me with a little more information about how you accomplished this? Maybe an example.

Thanks.

ajaxbr
  • 2004/7/6 19:09

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Ken,
I know that there's a subsite mod around, perhaps you can think of a way to meet your need by having different subsites with different admins and modules...
Sorry if it's of no help...
Good luck!

(found the link, Sub Site/Multi Site)

luksedj
  • 2004/7/7 20:25

• luksedj

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/7 2

Hi,

I'm currently investigating if i could use XOOPS for my next site-remake. The thing i'm checkin' right now is the grouping of users. I have an installation of my own, for test purposes, created several groups, and users, but now i want to assign users to groups. How do i do that? You mention that XOOPS can do this, but i don't find a clue, neither in the groups administration section, nor in the user administration...
The permission configuration per group is a very nice feature that i would like to use!

greetz,

luksedj

-- note:

before posting i 'd better scroll down on the groups admin page, as i see now, that's the place to do what i want

(x)OOPS

Login

Who's Online

466 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 466

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits