YourHelp
Hosting my website on my own PC
  • 2004/6/27 9:55

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Hi,
I will try my best do describe what I need help for. I have done a fair bit of web page building in my own time for fun and have had my websites hosted by webhosts., but unfortunately have never got into hosting side of it abit in the dark!

I have broadband internet at home and wondered, if i bought a domain name, for example,http://www.xxxx.com, would i be able to link it so that when people accessed the page, my own computer would host it, so that i do not have to pay a compnay to host it for me? I.e. when they access that page, they directly access the website that is hosted on my computer? Is this possible, as my broadband and computer are always on?
If this is possible, how do i go about setting it up? Is it possible to make a section of the hard drive that contins the webpage that people are viewing seperate so that the rest of the hardrive is somewhat secure?
It could be that what I am asking is not possible and the only way for me to do it would be just to buy some webspace from a hosting company and upload the website whenever alterations are made. Any help would be much appreciated as i am looking forward to the project of making and maintaining a website in my free time and for once actually hosting it on one of my own pc's. Thanks, and sorry if my question seams so long winded! Many of you here would know just the software i need to download there is heaps out there what do you recommend.
Yours in need of guidence!
YH

Bassman
Re: Hosting my website on my own PC
  • 2004/6/27 10:20

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

sure it's possible! First you need a web server - see the XSAS link on the left. if you buy a domain, I recommend using the services of mydomain.com - use the nameservers of mydomain.com, and you can point your domain name to the Ip address of your computer.

Mithrandir

Not to mention that you will of course need to have the webserver running all the time as well as opening for web traffic (port 80) in your broadband modem/router - I'll leave it to you to find out about that, since you are the only one, knowing what kind of routing hardware you have.

YourHelp
  • 2004/6/27 10:54

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

wow what a great program i had no idea it was this easy to host your own webpages....... i have to learn how to config for the first time i have a domain name that im gong to test out with it.

YourHelp
  • 2004/6/27 10:57

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

how do you chmod files...... like the mainfile.php

evylrat
  • 2004/6/27 10:58

• evylrat

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/2/25

I host two XOOPS sites on my computer here, on a DSL line. I'm running TSW 3.3.1 at the moment on WinXP. Seems to be working better than ApacheFriends's XAMMP.

I can't see it saving money, but since my computer is on 24/7 using P2P applications, it might as well server my website. And then, I thought it might as well server others.

Since the computer isn't dedicated to serving the pages, sometimes the sites can run quite slow. I may consider a dedicated machine running Linux if I can get more traffic on the site.

YourHelp
  • 2004/6/27 11:16

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Ok how do i point my domain name to XSAS Server on my pc? righto i understand about DNS now how do i obtain my DNS in windows? so i can point the Domain to my server? I think my connection obtains DNS details automaticaly? can i assign a dsn? if so how

YourHelp
  • 2004/6/27 11:49

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Ok i installed XSAS now when i go into internet exploror the url is local host.. how do i change this URL to my domain name and so IT is accessible world wide? also.. how do i chmod files in XSAS server on my harddrive.

Bassman
  • 2004/6/27 11:57

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

Oops, forgot.

If you have a fixed ip address, all you need is the mydomain.com account. If your ip address changes, you'll have to use a service such as no-ip or dyndns. this includes a program on your comp which contacts the no-ip or dyndns site and automatically updates your IP address. So, this would be the order to do things:
1) set up your xsas server.
2) get accounts with mydomain.com and no-ip.com (if needed)
3) buy your domain.
4) have the domain name pointed to the mydomain.com nameservers.
5) if you have a fixed IP address, use your mydomain.com account to point your domain to your IP address.
6) if you don't have fixed IP, use your mydomain.com account to point your domain to your no-ip URL.

i think that's it :)

Bassman
  • 2004/6/27 11:59

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

What's the IP address of your comp?

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits