ladysham
Email a Friend feature
  • 2004/6/13 18:44

• ladysham

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/11

Is there a hack that would email any page of my XOOPS website to a "friend"? Or is this something that MIGHT (hopefully) be available in future versions of xoops??

Thanks!

Kelly Ling

Dave_L
Re: Email a Friend feature
  • 2004/6/13 19:02

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

IMHO, I don't think that feature is a good idea. Since any email address could be specified as the recipient, it could easily result in your site getting reported for spamming.

ladysham
  • 2004/6/13 22:06

• ladysham

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/11

AndyM did a good job with the "Email a Friend" part of his articles module. He built in a security feature that notes the IP address of the sender. The email does not come from "@mydomain.com" but from the sender's email address. Now, granted - they could spoof the sender email addy, but it still logs there IP addy.

"Security information:
If this e-mail has been sent inappropriately, please forward the
complete e-mail to webmaster@homeschoolyellowpages.com.
User's IP address: 68.155.232.37
User's Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4)
Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)
Time sent: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:36 EDT"

Wouldn't this be a good thing??

Kelly Ling

toddherrold

bump. yes. this is a great feature, and hopefully will be added to future versions of xoops. many reputable major websites use this feature and it is great for viral marketing. with the suggested security/anti-spam feature, i don't see a problem. an additional feature would be to limit the number of email a use could send during a given time frame. anyway, it's unlikely that anyone except the site admin would want to spam people with pages from his/her site??

since many XOOPS sites are community in nature, and struggle with communicating the existence of said community, this is a key tool that XOOPS currently does not support but should.

Login

Who's Online

160 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 160

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits