vinit
How to setup XOOPS replica server or Mirror Servers???
  • 2004/6/6 9:22

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Hi,

I would like to know how to setup a XOOPS replica server or Mirror Servers. What do i mean by this is that making of a secondary server which has a realtime replica of orignal server.. so that if due to some reasons the first server goes down the second server to be brought into the action.

vinit
Re: How to setup XOOPS replica server ???
  • 2004/6/7 5:03

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

helloooooooo...

Anyother way of having concurent replicas or backup. Can someone tell me more about how to have secured backup of entire xoops.... I dont want to lose the information or the visitors due to hosting companies problems....

vinit
  • 2004/6/9 5:05

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Its Urgent.....
Mods, Admins please look into this...

ajaxbr
  • 2004/6/9 5:20

• ajaxbr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/10/25

Do you have access to PHPmyAdmin?
Do you have the second server ready?
If so, you just need to create a database dump and mirror your files. Keeping things in sync might be pretty boring, but if that's what you need...
I have no idea as to how to make it kick in in case of failure.

Society
Re: How to setup XOOPS replica server or Mirror Servers???
  • 2004/6/9 5:50

• Society

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/10

its easy if you got root access :)
use the same directory for the website, same mysql
and do just a cronjob with scp :)

copy for example var/lib/mysql/ and /srv/www/xoopssite to the other server via

vinit
  • 2004/6/10 5:57

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Well, on a hosting server its very clear that i cannot have that root rights... thus cant do that...

Whats the best practised method of keeping mirrors.

Herko
  • 2004/6/10 10:47

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Keeping mirrors isn't something for shared hosting, since it involves server administration (see posts above). What you need to do is find a way to synchronise your databases and cache/, templates_c/ and uploads/ folders (and the best way to do this requires server admin access). I'm no expert on this, and it's not something XOOPS can help you with as it simply lies beyond the scope of the XOOPS CMS.

As for making sure a mirror is used when the primary system is down, that is something you can do with XOOPS. Assuming the database is unreachable (if the whole server is down then the script can't detect anything, so it's useless then), there is an error message that tells you this (Due to an error this page can't be displayed, etc. error in databasefactory.php line xxx). Find where that message is generated, and change it to redirect to the mirror server. That should forward any traffic when this eror occurs.

There's not much more XOOPS can do, because as I said before, it's a server load issue handled at the server level or even at the network level. Definately not at the CMS level.

Herko

vinit
  • 2004/6/15 6:57

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

Herko,

Why cant we have a backup module, which would take a backup copy and then ftp /scp it to the given backup server. similarly export he the db data ane import in the mirror db. this updates that are copied should be the diff between the last saved version and current state. I know at times it might consume heavy bandwith.

But this can be done at cms level.

brash
  • 2004/6/15 10:41

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

vinit, there is a backup module for XOOPS that allows you to backup your MySQL database. I think it would be a good inclusion if this module could also backup all your files as well, as in most cases backing up the database altough vital is still only half the job done.

Once you start talking mirroring and replication servers though I agree with Herko in that I believe this to be beyond the scope of a CMS. I can see all kinds of sync issues coming about from trying to keep all servers up to date, especially if there were live data such as forums. Weblinks, downloads and articles wouldn't be too bad. Still, the amount of bandwidth used to keep a site that has regular updates current across all servers would take quite a bit of work. Also once you start talking about doing diffs and other operating system specific commands you move XOOPS away from being platform independent which is one of its great advantages.

Login

Who's Online

228 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 228

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits