brash
A News 1.2 Module Request/Question Or Two
  • 2004/6/5 6:42

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All,

Been playing around with the new News module, and am loving it. I really like being able to select the amount columns as this is something I've been looking to be able to do for a while now.

I selected a 2 coloumn layout and one thing I thought would make it better was to add more options for the "Select the number of news items to display on top page" setting so that I could display a equal amount of articles in each column. I did this by editing line 176 of modules/news/xoops_version.php which looks something like this;

Quote:
$modversion['config'][1]['options'] = array('5' => 5, '10' => 10, '15' => 15, '20' => 20, '25' => 25, '30' => 30);

I added options for all numbers between 1 and 10 that weren't already there which has given me the display options I want.

This is all good, but the columns are still of unequal length. Is there anyway I can edit the News module so that it automatically pads out the boarders of each coloumn so they are all the same length?

Mithrandir
Re: A News 1.2 Module Request/Question Or Two

I think you'll need to go into the template and change things there.

Currently, the news items are loaded into x cells, where x is the number of columns, based on number of news items. Like this:
<tr>
   <
td>Item 1
       Item 3
       etc
   </
td>
   <
td>

Item 2
       Item 4
       etc
   </
td>
</
tr>
[
code]

It should be possible to change it to have a structure like this:
[
code]
<
tr>
    <
td>

Item 1

</td>
    <
td>

Item 2

</td>
</
tr>
<
tr>
    <
td>

Item 3

</td>
    <
td>

Item 4

</td>
</
tr>
etc.

brash
  • 2004/6/5 11:54

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Cool, thanks Mith I'll give it a shot

Mithrandir

You may have to change the way the news items are assigned to smarty - they are currently in one array with x indexes... possibly it would be better to just have one array with the individual items and then let it be up to the template to put them in the right spots.

brash
  • 2004/6/5 12:26

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Ok, think that might be a little beyond me at this point. Might have to study up a bit

JackJ
  • 2004/6/7 19:46

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

I have set some columns up at my site using the News Templates--any "extra odd" column appears automatically at 100%. I am trying to do this in the new News module but struggling as the column code is hard-coded into the php. If I have any success I will get back to you.

I currently use Chapi's News with Spaw hack and it has the linebreaks text sanitizor thing catered for so no extra unwanted vast spaces in the HTML output. Presently I use a bit of code in the xoops_version.php in News to hide the submenu's from unregistered users or any other groups, so this does the job just now till I upgrade

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits