jmass
Delete Tables From DB
  • 2004/6/4 17:00

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

Any progress on the issue of uninstalling a module not deleting the tables from the DB?

Is this a "problem" that is going to be fixed? Or is it a "feature" that prevents me from losing data?

I have assumed that it is a problem. Really the only big one I have seen.

JMass

Stewdio
Re: Delete Tables From DB
  • 2004/6/4 17:02

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Could you provide us with more details on which module you are having problems with? As a general rule, most users never encounter this of problem unless there is a problem with the module coding itself, which is what I suspect.

Mithrandir

Tables specified in xoops_version.php are dropped on uninstallation.

If they are specified and aren't dropped, something's wrong.

jmass
  • 2004/6/4 18:04

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

This happens in ALL modules. This has been the case for me on every XOOPS site I have ever installed. I have four XOOPS sites running on two different servers and they all do this.

When I saw your replies I check my SQL DB creation script to see if I have the permissions right.

create database xoops;
grant usage on xoops.* to xoops_user@localhost;
grant select,insert,update,delete,create on xoops.* to xoops_user@localhost identified by 'password';
flush privileges;
use xoops;
(pasword only changed)

I suspect that I may need to add drop to the permissions.

What do you think?

JMass

Stewdio
  • 2004/6/4 18:08

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

As long as you have a separate password/user for the DB, just give it full perms, I have never run into this sort of problem. You can try drop table perms to see if it works though if you really need tighter perms.

jmass
  • 2004/6/4 18:14

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

Drop did the trick.

I am kind of a security nut. I always take the "Deny all and only allow what is required" approach.

Thanks for the insight. I could have gone for years (already have for months) mannually cleaning up my DB.

Sorry to bother with a nonproblem,

JMass

Mithrandir

I have actually thought about whether it would be suitable to have an "admin" database user and a "user" database user - with the "admin" used only in the administration menu and the "user" used on the site. Then it would be harder to drop/create tables (not to mention database users) with exploiting a cross-site scripting vulnerability.

jmass
  • 2004/6/4 20:01

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

That is an interesting thought... I don't think I would deviate that far from the core. But if the core went that way I would be happy about it.

JMass

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits