talon39
wysiwyg permissions question
  • 2004/6/2 22:03

• talon39

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/13

I have been trying out various wysiwyg/wrapper style content editors like Tiny Content and Wiwi.
I am creating an intranet and need a way for non-coders to edit their pages. Tiny content fits this requirement nicely, but I need to be able to set permission so that I can give a user or group permission to edit some wsyiwyg pages but not all of them. For example the IT Group should be able to edit the IT Pages, but not the Marketing Pages and the Accounting group should be able to edit the Accounting pages, but not the IT pages.
It seems I can either give permission to use the entire WYSIWYG module and edit all pages created with it, or none. I have not been able to find a way to give permission to edit some of the pages created, but not all.

Does this make sense?
Is there a module out there that uses permissions this way, or is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do with an existing module?

JackJ
Re: wysiwyg permissions question
  • 2004/6/2 22:27

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

wfsection is the way to go for this. A new version is underway, but not publicly available right now. I have a version I customised at my site for download you could try out. It uses the spaw wysiwyg editer at both ends, users can edit and manage their own content, and group visibility is pretty sophisticated in this module. Although users being able to use a wysiwyg may have security issues

Xfsection is a clone of wfections, and users again can edit their own content etc.

If you do a search you should find xfsection, if you give it a go you could see if it meets your requirements until the new wfsections is released, this new coming module has lots of features worth waiting on.

talon39
  • 2004/6/2 22:47

• talon39

• Just popping in

I installed the version of wfsection/Spaw from your site. I noticed that under "Create New Section" it says "Allow Access to the following groups:" Does this mean access to edit or access to view?

talon39
  • 2004/6/3 15:26

• talon39

• Just popping in

OK after doing some testing I have determined that wfsection does not do what I have described. All fsection can control is who can view an article. That is not at all what i'm trying to accomplish.

I want to limit which groups can edit an article. All should able to view.
The idea is to have each department manage their own pages, via a wysiwyg. Everyone should be able to see other departments pages, but they should only have permission to edit their own. I'm kind of surprised it have been so hard to find a solution for this. It seems like it would be a pretty common scenerio .

JackJ
  • 2004/6/3 17:48

• JackJ

You wish to have a "whole department" with various users in one group all have permissions to edit each article related to that group. The new coming wfsections can do this group permissions facility and a lot more. I can't tell you when it will be released. Beta 3 has been released and then removed. I missed that one, so I can't put it up for download, perhaps someone else who got it can help you out.

With this version of wfsections I mentioned currently it is only the named author of the article that can edit the article, so the webmaster needs to give the members of the department the article user login details? You must be logged as the user that created the article to see the edit article links for all the articles created by this user.

talon39
  • 2004/6/3 19:35

• talon39

• Just popping in

Quote:
With this version of wfsections I mentioned currently it is only the named author of the article that can edit the article

Are you talking about the new unrealeased version? Because the version on your site can't do that.
I don't really need the entire dept to be able to edit. Just one person from the dept. The problem I can't seem to solve is this exactly: I need everyone to be able to view all articles/pages. I need the head of each dept to be able to edit their dept pages, but not all pages.
This to me seems like it would be a very common scenerio. Unfortunately with most CMS systems it seems that editing is either all or nothing. Either you can edit all the pages or none.
If only the author of the page/article could edit the page/article, that would solve my problem. The version of fsections on your site Does Not work this way. Your saying the new unreleased version does this?

JackJ
  • 2004/6/3 19:52

• JackJ

Quote:
If only the author of the page/article could edit the page/article, that would solve my problem

It seems to be working fine for me and everyone else that uses it.

Did you login as the article creator and see the "Edit" link on the main menu? This should take you to the article manager where all that users article will be listed. I have not used it for a while, I will re-upload it and check that the Edit link in the Main Menu is working.

I also suggested trying out Xfsection, it does not have the wysiswy for users, but uses the XOOPS editor on the user side. The "Edit" article link appears at the top of the page in this version. HTML is disabled in this for users as default for security reasons

talon39
  • 2004/6/3 20:19

• talon39

• Just popping in

By jove your right! Sorry about that. I think one of the accounts I used to test it was the admin account. Confused myself somehow.
Thanks!

talon39
  • 2004/6/3 21:36

• talon39

• Just popping in

Next stupid Question.

Is there a way to change the label of of the wfsection link on the menu? I would like to change it to "Departments", or better yet, remove the link from the main menu and put it in a seperate block only visible to editors.

JackJ
  • 2004/6/3 22:05

• JackJ

Yes

To do this you must change the name of the module. Go to System Admin-> Modules. Then look for the module you wish to change the name of, and rename in the module name text box.

Wfsection installs a number of blocks in the System Admin->Blocks section

To hide a link to a module in the main menu go to System Admin-->Modules and look for the Order ( 0=Hide ) column to the right of the module. Change the "1" to a "0" (Zero). Although the link is hidden in the main menu the module is still active.

And all this copied form my little ebook XoopsForDummies, at least it saves me a lot of typing here..

glad its working for you.happy xoopsing

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits