P4Frost
Making a custom block...need help
  • 2004/5/20 14:24

• P4Frost

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/5 1

I have been wanting to add a custom block on my main page which would show my most recent IPB topics. I found bbpixels nice portal system for IPB, but I've already got everything setup and just want one block added. I noticed in his setup files, he as included ipboard blocks file. Is there anyway I can take this file, modify it a little, and then integrate only that file and block into my system?

I have the scripts and file if anyone is willing to look at it with me and see if it can be done.

Stewdio
Re: Making a custom block...need help
  • 2004/5/20 17:08

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Logged in as admin go to System Admin->Blocks and scroll down the list untill you find the appropriate block you want to have showing on your site. Select left, right, or middle, it's weight etc.

If you want to customise the block beyond it's default, if you have your template cloned, you can do so there. Templates are found in System Admin->Templates.

If you see only the default template, CLONE it, then go to System Admin->Preferences->General Options and set the template you JUST cloned as the default.

Go back to System Admin->Templates and look for the IPB blocks templates and edit the apropriate block, save and your done.

Alternately, you can also go back to your Block administration, look for the IPB block you want, click edit and inside you will (usualy) find an Edit Template link that will take you directly to your block html file.

Once you start looking around the system all this will become second nature. If you make a mistake and your page won't load after editing a template, go back your default template, look for the apropriate block template and copy/paste the defaults to your cloned copy so that you can start over. Trial and error is to be expected, use proper precaution when editing with your tags etc, and all will work out nicely.

Good Luck

P4Frost
Re: Making a custom block...need help
  • 2004/5/20 17:49

• P4Frost

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/5 1

Unfortunately, it did not work. I have a php file that creates the block for the bbpixel system, but I can't get the code to run properly. When I insert it into a block, it shows the code and that's it.

Is there any other way to do this? I have been looking and working for about 3 weeks now, and I cannot find anything.

Thanks

Login

Who's Online

522 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 522

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits